Drawn by Dai

ALBUM PROJECT: Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma

Project Director: Trism
Co-Director: Jorito
Project Advisor & Visual Artist: Odai

FINAL COMPLETED SUBMISSION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 1ST 2019

PROPOSED ALBUM RELEASE: DECEMBER 2019

Current Remixers:
djpretzel, HoboKa, Sbeast, Trism, rebrained, Oneiric, Supercoolmike, Chimpazilla, David "Cookie", Jorito, Ganaé, APZX,
Manji, Trev, LongBoxofChocolate, Nitrozxz, DaMonz, Nostalvania, That Headband Guy, Jean Of mArc, Primorph, Nadzilla, Argle, Clement Panchout, Sir_Nuts
more welcome
Current Performers: Stahalamora, Lauren the Flute more welcome
Sound Designers/Audio Support: Chimpazilla more welcome

- PROJECT CONCEPT -

This is the first in a series of albums paying homage to games that were grossly overlooked/underrated in their heyday, hence the title Paths Less Travelled. The first instalment, Volume I, shall be Terranigma. This HAS to be in my top 3 games of all time. It's beautiful. If you haven't played it, then find a way to do so. The cartridge alone sells for up to $120 on Ebay nowadays It's that good. The game was released through Enix by Quintet Games on the SNES. Extremely well received by critics, but with very little coverage, (Mainly because it was only officially released in Japan and Europe) it was an RPG with very mature and sombre themes that boasted very nice graphics, wonderful music from Miyoko Kobayashi, and very challenging gameplay. It was one of those true rare gems of gaming, and like any of you who bought it, I am eternally glad that I did. Because, frankly, it became part of my life. This is why I’m choosing it to be the first instalment. It deserves far more coverage, credit and honour than it did upon release. And I can only imagine how it could have sounded if the technology had existed for Kobayashi at the time.

**Link to the full OST on Youtube, I recommend you listen, even if you have no intention of claiming a track. It really is that good:**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHM_nLvYAc8&index=1&list=PL04067EB703ECEDD0

Layer-5.png?format=300w

- WHAT WE NEED -

**Shamelessly lifted and altered from the seminal Ocarina of Time project thread with thanks. It’s a perfect template.**

• Arrangers/Remixers to conceptualize and complete remixes. This is where the bulk of the work will be. Anybody who would like to take part is welcome. 
  • Performers who are experienced with any type of instrument and have a high-quality recording setup. We would like to get quality live performers on remixes in any instance where a remixer's sample quality “isn’t quite there”. (Reasoning: My goal is to apply this to be an official OCRemix album series and there are standards that must be met to achieve this).
  • Sound Designers/Audio Support interested in mastering and sound design for the project. also to provide support or collaborate with remixers who are new or inexperienced at mixing.

If you're interested in contributing to one or more of the above areas, please get in touch with me.

Layer-1.png?format=300w

- THE SPECIFICS -

Claiming & Auditioning
All remixers wishing to claim a track should PM me or HoboKa, or comment on the thread about any they are interested in and we'll go from there. If you are not a posted remixer, please PM some of your completed work. It needn't be a remix, but something that demonstrates the quality of your skills. Once a track is claimed, a deadline will be set that is reasonable. We're currently working on a 2 month deadline-to-deadline basis, but it's flexible. If nothing is heard from you for 3 months (check in at least once every month to at least let me know you’re still in), the track will revert to unclaimed.

Genre Guidelines
Though there is no basic genre one should adhere to when remixing tracks for the album, I do aim to have it generate deep and emotive soundscapes. This doesn’t mean the chosen track can’t  use an unexpected genre or take a different direction, but it should at least make the listener feel something big, and be in general keeping with its parent disc’s vibe suggestion. Genre should bring out the best in the track chosen. That gives remixers a lot of leeway in remixing a song the way they want with final product approved by me. Vocals in songs are also okay if implemented well. Mixing of other themes from the track list is fine as long as it flows well with the core theme and does not overshadow the main melody. Furthermore, if remixers would like to 'team up' and make a joint effort on a track, that's always welcome. If you got a specific idea for a track, by all means run it by me, I'm pretty open.

Flexible Deadlines
Deadlines will be handled on a case-by-case basis centered around a 2-month core plan. and based on the preference of the remixer, we're not trying to rush things here. Try to maintain contact with the project director, especially if you think a real life event will prevent you from delivering a track. "See also: Auditioning/Claiming"

Layer-3.png?format=300w

- CORE TRACK LIST -

Final Order will be determined towards end of project). This isn’t an exhaustive list of every track in the game. Most of the ones I’ve omitted are far less than a minute (some barely more than a few bars). What’s left is a triple album split into 3 moods/vibes.

Black - Unclaimed Track
Red - Track Claimed, no submission

Orange - Concept Submitted
Yellow - WIP submitted
Green- Significant WIP submitted
Blue - Finished Track submitted
Purple - Finished and Mastered Track

DISC 1: REST (Generally calm and ambient/happy)

01: Crysta (Village Theme 1) Claimed by Jorito

02: Evergreen (Sanctuary theme 1) Claimed by Clement Panchout

03: Lhasa (Village Theme 2) - Claimed by Trism & Nadzilla

04: Sanctuary (Sanctuary Theme 2)

05: European Town (Village Theme 3) Claimed by Manji

06: Castle: (Castle Theme) - Claimed by Argle

07: Neotokyo (Village Theme 4) Claimed by rebrained

08: Call at a Port (Port Theme) Claimed by HeavyViper

09: Freedom (Village Theme 5) - Claimed by djpretzel

10: Nomads in a Desert (Quattro’s Theme)

11: Southern Rhythm (Village theme 6) - Claimed by David "Cookie"

12: **NEW ADDITION** Origins (Prologue)

DISC 2: QUEST (Generally upbeat and positive/driven)

01: Light & Darkness (Title Theme) Claimed by Ganaé

02: Yomi (NPC Theme 1) Claimed by David "Cookie" & Trev

03: Sadness (Situation Theme) - Claimed by HoboKA & Stahalamora

04: Elle’s Theme (NPC Theme 2) - Claimed by Supercoolmike & Chimpazilla

05: Underworld (Map Theme 1) - Claimed by Fredrik Hathen

06: Wilful Lion (NPC Theme 3) Claimed by LongBoxofChocolate

07: Overworld (Map Theme 2) - Claimed by jnWake

08: Fyda (NPC Theme 4) - Claimed by Nostalvania

09: Fukan (Flying Theme) Claimed by APZX

10 Perel (NPC Theme 5) Claimed by Sir_Nutz

11: Magic Rocks (Menu & Magic Shop) claimed by Jean Of mArc

12: Royd (NPC Theme 6) Claimed by Trism

13: **NEW ADDITION** Shopping (Shop theme)

14: **NEW ADDITION** Amusement (Minigame)

DISC 3: BATTLE!  (Generally dark and brooding/heavy)

01: Tower of Trial (Dungeon Theme 1) Claimed by Manji

02: Dungeon (Dungeon Theme 2) - Claimed by That Headband Guy

03: Mountains (Wilderness Theme 1) -Claimed by Jorito

04: Wandering Spirits (Dungeon Theme 3) - Claimed by HoboKa

05: The Castle of Dragoon (Dungeon Theme 4) - Claimed by Oneiric

06: Zoo (Wilderness Theme 2) Claimed by DaMonz

07: Laboratory (Dungeon Theme 5) Claimed by Trev

08: Dr. Beruga (Villain Theme)

09: Boss Fight! (Boss theme) - claimed by Rozovian

10: Final Battle (End boss theme) Claimed by SBeast

11 : Resurrection Medley - Claimed by Jorito

12: **NEW ADDITION** The Gaia Stones (Pre-final battle)

13: Return to Mother Earth (End Credits) - Claimed by Manji

Layer-8.png?format=300w

That's just about it! With a little hard work, this could turn out to be the first in a series of brilliant albums, and raise awareness of some games that never should have slipped through the net. Thanks for reading, and for your interest. Get claiming!

Edited by Odai

**FIRST WEEK UPDATE**

OK So it's been evidently quiet on the topic thread replies here, but I've been getting a lot of positivity in my PMs. Some claims have been trickling through, namely from Yami and HoboKa at present, and Nitrozsz has very kindly offered his services as an audio aide. There has also been a lot of excitement from other forum members, who are unfortunately too busy with other projects or their own IPs to jump in right now, at least until their own lives are settled. But it seems Terranigma has touched more peeps than I once thought. I won't name them, because it's not fair on them if it turns out they're just too tied up in the future. But what started out as personal worry this album wouldn't happen has become a glimmer of hope and refreshment. I think this album may just be! There's plenty more spaces available. so don't be afraid to PM me or message me in this here thread. 

Again, If you're not familiar with the game, play it. If you can't play it,  listen to the OST in the Youtube link in the OP. It's one of the most haunting and exciting 16-bit OST's I've ever heard. Let's bring these hidden gems of games deservedly into the limelight!

WEEK 2 UPDATE:

Got some real interest coming in now. In discussions with a few interested users. Progress!  WIP concept deadline for those who've already signed up is February 28th. Still plenty more to do, and roles to fill, so if you're interested, comment or PM me. If I've missed anything for those of you who've already signed on, also PM me. Cheers!

Thanks @Odai I would love to collaborate, though you should know this for all intents and purposes would be my first project that isn't me messing around in Reaper. There are two songs I'd be interested in working on either of. Rest (End theme and credits- A medley of previous songs) probably my favourite song out of the album, or Elle’s Theme (NPC Theme 2) another one that I like and think could be used to make something good. Though yeah, I may need some hand holding on things that are honestly easy but I'm just being dense about.

10 minutes ago, Trism said:

A good point! Did you have any source in particular in mind?

Usually I'm the one who decides on the source tune when I collaborate with people.  I kinda want to mix it up and let the other person do the deciding lol.  Uhh...so long as the source has a MIDI, I cannot transpose by ear =p

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE-ISH!

Sorry I've not been commenting/updating very recently. My schedule's been utterly bonkers, not to mention cut-outs in my internet connection. My bad. Needless to say This project is still going ahead! There's still plenty of spaces available to fill, if you're interested. For all of you already signed on, the deadline for the initial WIPs is February 28th. I'll PM you all too. For those of you interested but not commented/claimed, there's still plenty of time. Get in touch! Once my work dies down (probably this weekend) I'll write a full and extensive post of where we are and where I want to go with it. Keep it up!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I've been reeled in as co-director.  So if Odai isn't available to respond, or if you anyone needs some feedback and whatnot, be sure to throw me a line via PM.  Terranigma is one of my favourite SNES games, so I'm heavily invested in getting this project done, equally as much as Odai is, no doubt.  Thanks!

LONG LONG LONG OVERDUE UPDATE:

So as you can see we have @HoboKa on board as the Co-Director. Brilliant stuff! Having spoken to him/ at length during the course of this project, I'm happy to have him on board. He knows this game, and he knows his stuff. Welcome!

I've been in the wilderness for a couple weeks, but I'm happy to say that's behind me. Back on track with this album and happy to continue forwards. Still, as Hoboka himself has mentioned, if you can't reach me, feel free to contact him. 

Onto the state of the album:
We now have 9 tracks of 34 claimed. That's almost a third, equating to one disk, not to mention the first claimed WIPs have started trickling through! This makes me happy. Keep claiming if you want to, It'll be good to see more faces :)

Everyone already on board, who hasn't sent their first WIP in yet, I'll be contacting you presently.

Happy musicmaking, folks!

It's nice to see this has gained some steam! Terranigma really deserves a good tribute as it has an amazing soundtrack.

I don't want to commit myself to anything yet since my remixing schedule has been pretty bad lately but I wish you luck.

I do feel there should be a medley of resurrection themes somewhere in the album though.

Missed this somehow. You're welcome aboard whenever you like @jnWake, just drop a line when you're ready 

In regards to the resurrection theme et al, the complete list of tracks from the OST is even more expansive than above, and had quite a few looping 16-bar tracks.  I had to make some cuts for the sake of a pseudo-realistic album size. These loops were the first to go. It was a tough choice, and it's still a triple discer :<

Lol, I just realized the underrated tag in the topic.

I understand the resurrection themes are short, which is why I suggested a medley! They are pretty iconic themes IMO, especially the first one. Open the Door. Anyway, if nobody does it I could attempt it in the future haha.

Either way, I guess I'll claim something because I don't want to miss out haha. Sign me for Overworld!

**INCOMING UPDATE**

Hi all.

The project seems to be picking up steam now. We now have well over a third of the tracks claimed, people are chipping away at their claimed WIPs and things are running smoothly. At the moment anyway :D . Some people are already well on the way to completing their tracks, it seems... Remember, just because you've claimed a track, doesn't mean you can't claim another.

Welcome to @Jorito @Supercoolmike and @jnWake who've jumped in since the last update. 

The next WIP deadline is May 1st. Put it in your calendars, looking forward to hearing what you guys have. 

In the next week or so I'll be working on the artwork for the album. So that'll be nice. A bit of visual reference to add to the clout of what is already, if cautiously, shaping up to be a nice album. Keep at it folks.

As ever, if you want to claim a track, type here, or PM me or @HoboKa.

Cheers!

The WIPs I've been receiving are going to make for a very eclectic and interesting album. The takes that all the remixers have done so far are works of genius, even in their 'concept' stages.

Some genres being used for the claimed remixes include:
Classical
Metal
Psy-Trance
Techno
B-Movie
Bladerunner (yup)

Colour me excited

So Terranigma is one of my very favourite RPGs and one that I have played to DEATH. @Odai asked if I was interested and it took me all of two minutes to say "hell yes!" I'm going to attempt to do a chunky metal version of the Tower of Trial theme because I love those first few dungeons, they're super mysterious and don't give you any hints as to how big the world is about to get!

• Liontamer changed the title to Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic