The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls - Link's Awakening's Predecessor

DarkeSword

Came across this today!

Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru

I never knew about this game before, but apparently Nintendo and Intelligent Systems developed this game for Gameboy, and the engine would eventually be reused for Link's Awakening! The graphics are really similar.

There's a fan translation patch out for it too. I think I'm gonna try this game out. Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game.

hold on I recognise this cover art... Isn't this the game with the original theme for Richards Villa? Let me check...

EDIT: YES check it out bros! 

You've probably figured it out if you're fans of the game, but I believe Richard and his castle were references to the character in this game. There are plenty of more well known references to characters in Links Awakening, including Mario, Luigi, Goombas, Kirby, Yoshi etc, but this was a much more obscure addition.

It's actually a decent little game. It wasn't pushing any limits, but it was a solid game overall. And sometimes, "solid overall" is just as satisfying as anything else.

Fun fact: Richard from the game appears in Link's Awakening, in the castle before you gain access to the Key Dungeon. And anything that ties into one of my favorite games ever is therefore good by association/osmosis.

Well, the engine difference between Link's Awakening and the Oracles games is likely because of the eight year gap between the games. Even the GameBoy Color remake (DX) was still a few years before Ages/Seasons came out. Combined with the fact that the GameBoy Color's hardware, while significantly better than the  original GameBoy, was structurally the same, and that many developers had learned every little trick they could do with the hardware, it makes sense that they would have opted for a better engine with more features.

21 hours ago, WillRock said:

You've probably figured it out if you're fans of the game, but I believe Richard and his castle were references to the character in this game. 

I read somewhere that the Richard in LA is the same Richard after the game, so he kind of "relocated" to the island (how he did this is a different discussion)

20 minutes ago, Yami said:

I read somewhere that the Richard in LA is the same Richard after the game, so he kind of "relocated" to the island (how he did this is a different discussion)

Well the island (SPOILERS) was a dream of the wind fish  so unless this game itself was ALSO part of it, I can't see how that theory makes any sense :P

On 1/29/2016 at 10:36 AM, The Damned said:

Well, the engine difference between Link's Awakening and the Oracles games is likely because of the eight year gap between the games. Even the GameBoy Color remake (DX) was still a few years before Ages/Seasons came out. Combined with the fact that the GameBoy Color's hardware, while significantly better than the  original GameBoy, was structurally the same, and that many developers had learned every little trick they could do with the hardware, it makes sense that they would have opted for a better engine with more features.

Eight years? Wow, that explains the massive difference between the games. I personally didn't think Link's Awakening aged that well (far too much moon logic), but I've been replaying Oracle of Ages for the first time in over a decade and it holds up.