Final Fantasy VIII: Collision Course - History

Brandon Strader

Good day! My name is Jackson, and I'm an accordion player. If it is still available, then I would very much like to lay claim to Wounded.

To the Seas of Time album released last month, I contributed an arrangement of the Overture. Another example of my small ensemble work is this arrangement from Super Metroid. However, the lion's share (hehe) of my YouTube content is solo accordion, and that is the treatment that I think I would like to give to this particular Final Fantasy VIII piece. Recent examples of my solo accordion work are Pat Metheny's "Letter from Home", and the Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (based on Harry Gregson-Williams' arrangement from MGS2).

The pipe organ is one of my favorite instruments, and the accordion is more similar to the organ than it is different. Since I've started playing my accordion, I have tried to explore all those beautiful similarities. I think a solo accordion (or, perhaps, solo accordion with some additional instrumentation) would treat this piece very well. Only now in the past few hours, a bunch of ideas have been knocking around in my dome about good ways to approach it. 

Thanks! :)

And another post by me! Sorry if I'm creating a clutter, but I'm now writing on behalf of my band, Random Encounter. After discussing this project with the other members, we would like to request a claim on "Heresy".

Our most recent track release was this Ecco: The Tides of Time number off of the Sound Waves tribute album. This track is particularly special because it's the first one with complete contribution by me since my joining of the band in the summer of 2015. In addition, Random Encounter has also released The Big Blue LP, and the full-length Let Me Tell You A Story. We think that we can make "Heresy" rock.

6 hours ago, Hipnotyk said:

I would like to be a part of this.  Long time musician, but I've finally got my feet wet with production over the last 8 months (4 of which I was finishing up college).  I just recently participated in the Materia Collective FF8 project, contributing covers of Never Look Back and Movin':

If this is sufficient for me to pass the audition, I would like to tackle Lunatic Pandora and The Salt Flats.

Hey! Sure, I will put you down for Lunatic Pandora and Salt Flats if you want them! Please keep an open mind about feedback on your mixes, so we can get the best result, and everything should be fine :)

5 hours ago, starlight buffalo said:

i saw this retweeted on twitter. i had done a quick cover of Balamb Garden last year for a friend, and came to see how things were shaping up. i'll be interested to hear some of the work for this. it would be nice to try to participate, but time is unfortunate and little. 

i had thought it might have been nice to revisit this and possibly expand on it (Balamb Garden ~SeeDs of the Future~), so i'm a bit jealous of the people who claimed it! but super eager to see what they do with it!

if i find any substantial time, i'll check occasionally to see if there are any lingering tracks. good luck everyone!

Yup somebody claimed it, bummer eh? :) You've got a pretty cool mix there, some cleaning up and it'll be good. A bit cluttered/muddy but you should revisit it and at least submit it to the OCR panel! Dunno where things will be a year from now but if for some reason the track opens up, you could probably slide in. 

4 hours ago, David "Cookie" said:

I made this overture remix 2 months ago. Surely not enough for your standards quality but I could work again on it in order to make it better!

Overture's the one case where I'd prefer to not have electro, I kinda want to have a big orchestral version for it.. I was considering claiming it myself so I could test out the new computer but I hesitated and sent some invites out to people, but nobody's quite been up to the task of such a big project yet. As for your remix, it could use some work with the production and sample quality, the drums are kinda basic and repetitive, levels and EQ need another good pass.. I'd say check out the OCR Workshop, it's a good place to get more detailed feedback on your mixes to help you improve :D

1 hour ago, Jackson Alexander Parodi said:

And another post by me! Sorry if I'm creating a clutter, but I'm now writing on behalf of my band, Random Encounter. After discussing this project with the other members, we would like to request a claim on "Heresy".

Our most recent track release was this Ecco: The Tides of Time number off of the Sound Waves tribute album. This track is particularly special because it's the first one with complete contribution by me since my joining of the band in the summer of 2015. In addition, Random Encounter has also released The Big Blue LP, and the full-length Let Me Tell You A Story. We think that we can make "Heresy" rock.

You want to claim Wounded as a solo accordion piece? That sounds really interesting... I want to see how you would turn it into a (fuller) song. I'm cool with marking you down for it, and I'd also be up for mixing/mastering it if you choose so. 

If you're really in Random Encounter on accordion then you replaced Careless and I challenge you to fisticuffs.

Not sure what RE's views are about asking me to mix/master because I was basically working for them via Careless and then he retired, and they didn't ask me to mix/master their Ecco track because it was a non-profit venture. I did mix/master the Big Blue remix on your Big Blue LP (last song) so I'm pretty familiar with their stuff haha. And I redid my computer since Careless retired so I need to make a new RE Accordion preset, seems like a good time to do that. Sure you/they can claim Heresy. :) 

...but get back to me on whether they want me to mix and master it... :P 

Thanks OCR for that Twitter bump, haha!

13 minutes ago, Brandon Strader said:

You want to claim Wounded as a solo accordion piece? That sounds really interesting... I want to see how you would turn it into a (fuller) song. I'm cool with marking you down for it, and I'd also be up for mixing/mastering it if you choose so. 

If you're really in Random Encounter on accordion then you replaced Careless and I challenge you to fisticuffs.

Not sure what RE's views are about asking me to mix/master because I was basically working for them via Careless and then he retired, and they didn't ask me to mix/master their Ecco track because it was a non-profit venture. I did mix/master the Big Blue remix on your Big Blue LP (last song) so I'm pretty familiar with their stuff haha. And I redid my computer since Careless retired so I need to make a new RE Accordion preset, seems like a good time to do that. Sure you/they can claim Heresy. :) 

...but get back to me on whether they want me to mix and master it... :P 

At this moment, I am confident that I can make Wounded work for solo accordion. Thank you! Once I figure out exactly how I want to make it work, then I'll be in touch with you about mixing/mastering.

Nobody can replace Careless... :( I'm just the new guy with an accordion. I will convey this to the rest of the band, and we'll be sure to be in touch with you about mixing/mastering for our contribution. Thanks so much, Brandon!

Hmm I still see some pretty prime tracks on the OST that haven't been claimed for this album yet (and aren't even listed under Brandon's choices). Thinking of three in particular that I regularly listen to when I throw the FF8 soundtrack on.

Also Random Encounter kicks ass and I'm looking forward to seeing how that accordion remix turns out.

Edit: @Jackson Alexander Parodi I'm sorry to derail this convo but I just went through your YouTube channel and found some fucking GOLD:

35 minutes ago, Sagnewshreds said:

Hmm I still see some pretty prime tracks on the OST that haven't been claimed for this album yet (and aren't even listed under Brandon's choices). Thinking of three in particular that I regularly listen to when I throw the FF8 soundtrack on.

Also Random Encounter kicks ass and I'm looking forward to seeing how that accordion remix turns out.

Edit: @Jackson Alexander Parodi I'm sorry to derail this convo but I just went through your YouTube channel and found some fucking GOLD:

Hahaha, that started autoplaying after I listened to 1 of his songs. :P

Just out of curiosity, what are the few FF8 themes you mentioned? There's definitely good ones not listed that people can claim, Hipnotyk got a couple of them... 

Naww. I thought I did good allowing additional claims even though the original concept was pretty narrow. Remixing everything is a massive undertaking, though of course if it happens that'd be rad.

Right now everything is listed in spirit, but only people who really read the first post will know they're allowed to claim more, so it's almost like a barrier to not list them all so that we only get the most dedicated people. :)

Does that make sense? 

First half is full and second half is 98% full... we're in good shape!

7 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

Remixing everything is a massive undertaking, though of course if it happens that'd be rad.

Thanks for approving me!  If I can crank out the two tracks I claimed and there's still time, I'm willing to contribute some more depending on what's available.  A few unclaimed tracks still greatly intrigue me such as Martial Law and The Legendary Beast.  If they're not claimed, I could take a crack at them.

On a side note, I'd love to hear another person or group put their spin on Movin'.  As a young little noob, that was an epic moment in the game because of the killer FMV it accompanied and I was like "WTF THE BUILDING IS FLYING!"

Basically the ones off the top of my head were Legendary Beast (which I've been thinking about doing, but wouldn't be able to work on it for a couple of months), Breezy and Premonition. But maybe Premonition has too many borrowed themes from other tunes even though I think of it as its own thing. Come to think of it that really bluesy music from when you have to start a band about halfway through the game doesn't seem to be on the list either. Forget what that's called and I'm walking to work right now so I'll look it up later. But that would also be cool for someone to do.

But basically I agree with the idea of keeping the "required" list of songs to remix lower and letting people who want to hop on the project claim other tracks as well. Seems like a good way to keep the project manageable. I predict that it will eventually turn into pretty much doing the entire soundtrack though :P You cannot escape!

7 hours ago, Sagnewshreds said:

Basically the ones off the top of my head were Legendary Beast (which I've been thinking about doing, but wouldn't be able to work on it for a couple of months), Breezy and Premonition. Come to think of it that really bluesy music from when you have to start a band about halfway through the game doesn't seem to be on the list either. Forget what that's called

I forgot what that one was called too and in fact looked for it but couldn't find it, haha. But yeah, I definitely want to see Breezy covered and some of the others, it's all up to remixers choosing to want to do those. 

9 hours ago, Hipnotyk said:

Thanks for approving me!  If I can crank out the two tracks I claimed and there's still time, I'm willing to contribute some more depending on what's available.  A few unclaimed tracks still greatly intrigue me such as Martial Law and The Legendary Beast.

You're welcome! I'm looking forward to your mixes. I think we have the unique opportunity with this project to not do too much double, triple, quadruple-dipping with single artists because there seems to be a lot of people who want to remix stuff. 

2 hours ago, theshaggyfreak said:

I'd love to pick up Blue Sky if that's possible.

I've heard your work in the past and know what a big figure you are at OCR so you can give it a go, I won't even ask for an audition, and I trust that you'd be cool and open to feedback if it comes up :)

45 minutes ago, JJT said:

I'll take Martial Law!

It was there a second ago, now it's gone! Looking forward to it :D 

18 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

Overture's the one case where I'd prefer to not have electro, I kinda want to have a big orchestral version for it.. I was considering claiming it myself so I could test out the new computer but I hesitated and sent some invites out to people, but nobody's quite been up to the task of such a big project yet.

I'd love to do something with Overture, but only if I can find someone to collaborate with, as on my own I know I'm not up to the task. I'm not terribly good at huge arrangements and tend to be very conservative. Of course, if conservative is fine you can check out my Soundcloud. In particular, this arrangement of an Ecco the Dolphin song is probably one of my better arrangements(though the mixing is sort of muddy). But even if that were fine I'd still prefer a collab for quality.

52 minutes ago, Nicol Armarfi said:

I wouldn't mind grabbing Dance WIth The Balamb Fish, if you'll have me.  I've got one ReMix posted to the site and it would probably be something of a similar style.

Yes, you are welcome aboard! I remember enjoying your mix when it was posted, interested to see what you do. :)

29 minutes ago, Kat said:

I'd love to do something with Overture, but only if I can find someone to collaborate with, as on my own I know I'm not up to the task. I'm not terribly good at huge arrangements and tend to be very conservative. Of course, if conservative is fine you can check out my Soundcloud. In particular, this arrangement of an Ecco the Dolphin song is probably one of my better arrangements(though the mixing is sort of muddy). But even if that were fine I'd still prefer a collab for quality.

First of all, your name is Kat but your picture is a mouse or maybe a lab rat. Your Ecco song was pretty good and it'd probably be cool if you claimed something else but the Overture needs to be really good to open up the album(probably). Needs to be reaaaally really good. If you're not good at huge arrangements and conservative then wouldn't most of the work be laid on your collaborator anyway? :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Brandon Strader said:

First of all, your name is Kat but your picture is a mouse or maybe a lab rat. Your Ecco song was pretty good and it'd probably be cool if you claimed something else but the Overture needs to be really good to open up the album(probably). Needs to be reaaaally really good. If you're not good at huge arrangements and conservative then wouldn't most of the work be laid on your collaborator anyway? :lol: 

Whoa hey, ad hominem! Don't diss the mouse!

As for that last bit, I guess it depends on the who. Someone really good with huge, creative arrangements probably wouldn't be looking to collab in the first place(barring recording for solos and the like), so that's sort of a moot point. But since you want it to be really really good and (probably) the opening piece? Yeah, I would agree I'm not suitable(alone or in a collab) for that. I assumed it was going to be a closing piece. If I get any ideas for less important pieces in the near future, I'll throw a WIP together and send it your way as an audition, if that works.

Yea sorry. It was originally intended to be a closing piece for the original concept, but I wasn't sure if I would stick to that especially with how much more and how much everything has changed.. But there's still a heck of a lot of time before that really needs to be figured out. So that's not a lab rat, just a regular white mouse? 

7 minutes ago, Brandon Strader said:

Yea sorry. It was originally intended to be a closing piece for the original concept, but I wasn't sure if I would stick to that especially with how much more and how much everything has changed.. But there's still a heck of a lot of time before that really needs to be figured out. So that's not a lab rat, just a regular white mouse? 

Just a mouse. You're the first person to point out the oddity of my name vs avatar, though.

2 hours ago, shadowpsyc said:

I'm also interested in using Never Look Back, did you listen to the updated WIP Brandon?

I had missed your post in this thread before, but will send you a PM, got some notes on your WIP :)

5 minutes ago, fxsnowy said:

I'm late to the party, but would like to claim Movin'!

You got it!

• Liontamer changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII: Collision Course - History
  • djpretzel pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic
  • djpretzel locked this topic