Northwest Majors 8 - Yet another FGC Album

DarkeSword

We've been asked by the folks at Northwest Majors (a fighting game tournament in Washington) to put together an event album!

This is planned to be a digital album release. I need remixes for the following games.

• Street Fighter V
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND - OA
  • Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late
  • Skullgirls 2nd Encore
  • Killer Instinct
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV

Hit me up. High energy stuff, suitable for combo videos and highlights reels!

Need these remixes by end-of-March! Not a lot of time, but you guys are amazing.

Mmmhh.. I'm pretty new in the remix universe but I already made some "energetic" covers. Like my Chrono Trigger or FFVIII remixes for example.

I could try to begin this SFIV remix and propose you a 1st version, you could then judge if I'm up for the task or not. I'm always glad to make some music so that's really not a problem for me!

5 hours ago, David "Cookie" said:

Mmmhh.. I'm pretty new in the remix universe but I already made some "energetic" covers. Like my Chrono Trigger or FFVIII remixes for example.

I could try to begin this SFIV remix and propose you a 1st version, you could then judge if I'm up for the task or not. I'm always glad to make some music so that's really not a problem for me!

Hmm. Well David I appreciate your offer but I don't think you're quite there yet in terms of arrangement ability. Perhaps in a future album. :)

Okay.. I understand! I'm a beginner compare to this community so I'm not really surprised. But it was always worth asking! :)

I've already started so can I still post it there when it's ready? Maybe you could give me advices on how to improve precisely (if you're not too busy). I usually don't have technical feedbacks on my works so it could really help me!

7 hours ago, SilverMage said:

I could contribute to for Super Smash Bros Melee, I've been messing around with a heavy surf rock cover of the Hyrule Temple stage theme I started on about 2 weeks ago. Though I'm still pretty new to the OCR community and still learning how to produce better recordings but I'll try to get a better sounding better of it soon!

As a rough draft, here's the recording I was talking about Hyrule Temple. Production needs work but would my composition be up to snuff?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in contributing for Smash Bros. Wii U.  Being new to OCR I thought I'd get a start on a remix then see if it's what you're looking for.

Here's my WIP as it currently stands: https://soundcloud.com/djake-studio/remix-super-smash-bro-wii-u-untitled-wip  As it is currently there is a lot to work on but I think its a substantial start.

If that's what you're looking for I'll commit to finishing it for this project if not I'll still finish it either way just not on a deadline.

I haven't done a whole lot by way of remixing but you can check out my soundcloud for recent examples of tracks I've done or my bandcamp for a lot of the electronic music I've done less recently. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! 

So far what I've seen/heard in this thread has been so good!  The entire concept of OCRemix is so cool to me.  As one of the organizers for NWM8 I wanted to share a little bit about our event and what sets it apart from other events.  We've always had a bit of an emphasis on the games in our local community that really show up and put in the work to get people involved and generate hype for their games, even if they're not the most conventionally "big" titles at other majors.  

While games like SFV and XRD are of course staples, we are showing love to the rest of our strong anime community; from Blazblue to Persona, to being one of the only majors with a strong Skullgirls presence (we have players flying across the country for JUST that game), a consistently high level Tekken bracket every year, and love for some of the classics like Vampire Savior, GG+R, and more.

Anything you guys want to play with and send our way is great and we love and appreciate it so much.  Hopefully that bit of info gives those on the fence or unsure about which communities will really feel the work you put into a remix a little inspiration to create at will.

Much love from the NW <3

On 2/2/2016 at 8:31 AM, David "Cookie" said:

So I tried my best and here's the (street fighter IV) result. Hope to learn some things thanks to you :)

@David "Cookie" I don't mean to be harsh, but the timings on the main elements individually and as a whole are too sloppy; although it's good that it's not mechanical/quantized/robotic, it's "too human". The soundscape is nice, but the performance could be tighter.

@Furorezu As Shariq mentioned earlier, the recording is too low quality. I know you haven't added bass yet, but the recording's current state is too distant and lacking in presence. The recording can be described as having a similar frequency distribution to that of the intro to this (0:00 - 0:21), except yours doesn't change.

It's the perceived acoustics of the room due to the recording equipment itself. I've never recorded through a "multi-effect pedal", but it sounds like that would do it. Ideally you should try to record the guitar direct-input and digitally process the recording in your DAW later. That way it's a more accurate representation of what you played.

Recording the drums would be harder to get right, since you could either mic each drum kit component individually or the whole kit at once. Or, you could use a sample library like Steven Slate Drums or Groove Bias Drums with a sampler like Kontakt 5. I'd rather not get too much into it though because that's not what this topic is for.