*NO* Bloodborne & King's Field: The Ancient City 'Moonlit Beast'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer - RoeTaKa
Name - Alex Roe
Email - 
UserID - 9374

Games Arranged - Bloodborne, King's Field IV
Arrangement Name - Moonlit Beast
Songs Arranged - Cleric Beast (Bloodborne), Dark Reality (King's Field IV)

Game info -
    Game - Bloodborne
    Composers - Ryan Amon, Tsukasa Saitoh, Michael Wandmacher, Yuka Kitamura, Cris Velasco, Nobuyoshi Suzuki
    Systems - Playstation 4

Game - King's Field IV
    Composer - Tsukasa Saitoh
    Systems - Playstation 2

Comments:

I had some ideas to blend these two songs together for a while but wasn't sure how to make a whole remix from it. Then one day when I was listening to Moonlight Sonata I thought it would be fun to use that as inspiration. I wouldn't say this was also a remix of Moonlight Sonata, it just takes some of the feel from it. I'm still not sure if I like what I've done with it but it is what it is and I figure I'd submit anyway.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I really like this.  I'm going to have to take a better look at the source use and do some timestamping, but my cursory listen sounds like enough.  I do hear quite the nod to Moonlight Sonata, I almost wonder if it is too much.  I do like this mix though, Alex has taken some risks with dissonance and I think it works.  Very moody and emotive mix.  I'm a YES assuming the source checks out and I suspect it does.

edit 5/25/16:  Listening again, there is quite a bit of Moonlight Sonata here.  As a remix of the two themes, this arrangement is genius.  For OCR though, it's a no-go.  Don't feel bad, I have done this myself.  No need to change your track for OCR, it's really a very good track just as it is! :-D 

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/06/03 - (1?) Bloodborne 'Moonlit Beast'
  • 1 month later...

Moonlight Sonata seems to be popping up a lot around here.  Weird.

On topic:  Not much to comment on the production side of things, as Alex delivers yet another high quality orchestral production.  Performances are believable, balanced mix, great design and attention to detail throughout .

These are two nice sources, I specially liked the King's Field track.  Both sources are implemented and woven together very well in this remix.  There's a minimal usage of drums, as the arrangement is mostly strings-based.  I think it gets monotonous at times, as it feels like the whole song sits in a bed of legato notes for the entirety of the duration and there aren't many peaks or downs in the structure.  Nevertheless, the addition of the piano by the end and subtle drum touches here and there help make up for it.  The tremolo strings were also a nice addition, dissonance worked well in those sections.

Overall this is a solid track of course, even though I would've liked a more dynamic structure.  

edit 5/25/2016 : vote changed, explained below
NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/06/03 - (1Y/1?) Bloodborne 'Moonlit Beast'

I think this track is pretty solid. There's a lot of emotion throughout despite there not being many changes to the soundscape. The two sources fit together very well, and without knowing I wouldn't have guessed they were from two different games. There's a subtle build that really add some good anxiety towards the end of the track and makes for a good conclusion. I'm on board!

Yes (changed below)

• 2 months later...

Bloodborne "Cleric Beast" - :25-1:33, 3:01.5-3:45 = 109.5 seconds
King's Field IV "Dark Reality" - 1:33-3:01.5  = 88.5 seconds

Well, that is indeed "Moonlight Sonata" opening the piece, and even when it's more marginalized at :46, it's used as backing until 1:06, and comes back later. I'm not sure why Alex said it wasn't a "Moonlight Sonata" mix, when in effect it is for the start. Bummer, man. Gotta go NO on a standards violation, even though the rest of the arrangement is a YES. By design, where that line on non-VGM source usage is subjective and contextual, but having it reference and arranged used for more than a minute of a 4-minute piece is too much, IMO.

3. Acceptable Source Material

3. Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.

Just commenting on the rest of the piece, it's strong, albeit with cluttered mixing that could have used more clarity; in particular, the brass never sounded great. It's not enough to reject it on those grounds though, but it's a legit disappointment because I love to enjoy RoeTaKa's work to the fullest extent.

The two source themes managed to work well enough, though I'd argue that, melodically, it felt like a somewhat awkward combination, even though the backing writing of each pieced together fairly seamlessly. I'm really glad "Dark Reality" is on my radar now, it's an amazing theme!

If we could get the "Moonlight Sonata" material greatly reduced, this would be an easy call, but there's too much non-VGM source usage here. I know Jorito used "Never Gonna Give You Up" for the close of his MMX2/3 mix, but that usage was more limited (and the lyrics weren't using that song's melody).

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/06/03 - (2Y/1N/1?) Bloodborne 'Moonlit Beast'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
43 minutes ago, Liontamer said:

Bloodborne "Cleric Beast" - :25-1:33, 3:01.5-3:45 = 109.5 seconds
King's Field IV "Dark Reality" - 1:33-3:01.5  = 88.5 seconds

Well, that is indeed "Moonlight Sonata" opening the piece, and even when it's more marginalized at :46, it's used as backing until 1:06, and comes back later. I'm not sure why Alex said it wasn't a "Moonlight Sonata" mix, when in effect it is for the start. Bummer, man. Gotta go NO on a standards violation, even though the rest of the arrangement is a YES. By design, where that line on non-VGM source usage is subjective and contextual, but having it reference and arranged used for more than a minute of a 4-minute piece is too much, IMO.

After re-listening I have to agree the moonlight sonata parts are more than a simple nod, but constitute a fairly important part of some of the main motifs of this song.  Sadly this means I'll have to change my vote accordingly to a NO.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/06/03 - (1Y/3N) Bloodborne 'Moonlit Beast'
On 2/2/2016 at 3:22 PM, Chimpazilla said:

No need to change your track for OCR, it's really a very good track just as it is! :-D 

Hopefully, Alex won't be mad about a rejection on these grounds, but yeah, I had to turn down an otherwise great bLiNd and Chimpazilla collab from even going to the panel for the same reason. I quoted her because I agree with her sentiment; it's a great track on its own, so if you feel no reason to modify it just to pass OCR, no worries. Still great work here, even if it falls outside the rules here; what's most important is making the track how you envisioned it and in the way you most enjoy.