OCR03319 - *YES* Jazz Jackrabbit 'Comeback of the Green Rabbit'

Chimpazilla

Hi,

I'm Outbreak and I made a glitch hop remix of Jazz Jackrabbit's Title Theme and would like to share it here on OverClocked Remix.

Contact information:

Remixer name: Outbreak
Email address: 
Userid: 54604

Submission information:

Name of the game: Jazz Jackrabbit, 1994
Developed by: Epic Games
Platform: PC
Composer: Robert Allen

Name of arrangement: Comeback of the Green Rabbit
Name of song arranged: Jazz Jackrabbit - Title Theme
Link to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnFFEStA3c

Comments: This remix was super fun to make, especially because this is my first time experimenting with glitch hop and the production process went really smoothly in general. I really like how it turned out since it kinda keeps the original funky vibe in to it while also adding modern elements to the mix.

WOW this is compressed.  The track sounds soooo squashed.   I think it needs another pass at the final mix and/or master to give the instruments some breathing room.  I absolutely love the concept here, and the arrangement is tight.  There are some really nice details in the mix such as the upward-pitch transition at 2:08.  Lots of ear candy here.  I hate to do this, and I might be alone here, but this just sounds too compressed to me.  Please re-address the final mix to make sure the levels are really where you want them to be, and then master it more cleanly.  It's an easy YES for me after this is fixed.

NO (borderline, please remaster and resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/02/09 - (1N) Jazz Jackrabbit 'Comeback of the Green Rabbit'
  • 2 weeks later...

Smooth chippy intro. Your drop at the beginning was very nice, and as the song progressed I enjoyed the funky vibe this gave off, with your keys and things like that. You have a nice mix of different elements playing, and some great instrument changes between drops. I don't have any real problems with arrangement. Nice use of bit crushing and other effects for transitions.

I will reaffirm Kristina's comments on this be fairly heavily compressed. It's not to breaking point as far as the sound quality goes (in terms of it isn't distorting anything), but it's making it's way there. I think the song would be more enjoyable if the compression was relaxed, but as I don't have any other major problems with this mix, and there's no distortion coming from your harsh dynamics, this might do.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Used the play this game a lot when I was a kid. Brings back memories.

Pretty wild arrangement. Compression is definitely heavy, but I'm falling on the side where I don't think it's an issue. I kind of like this really smashed up sound in this piece.

Pretty short but doesn't overstay its welcome. Manages to do a lot of things in such a short time. I'm digging it.

YES

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2015/02/09 - (3Y/1N) Jazz Jackrabbit 'Comeback of the Green Rabbit'

The compression on the track feels very genre-appropriate to me, and it's never so cramped that I can't make out everything going on. This mix is loud, punchy, and groovy, just what I like to hear. Sick transition at 2:17. Really, you knocked this out of the park in terms of detail work and adapting the source to this style, at first listen I almost didn't believe this was your first foray with glitch hop, which is a genre that relies heavily on little nuances and variations to keep it fresh. 

I'm actually surprised to see division on this vote - I had this pegged for a direct post candidate initially! For my money, the compression is definitely not a dealbreaker when the rest of the track is so well-done.

YES