How to make a Synth Drop

Perhaps Andy will chime in on his approach for that track.

To my ears, the two examples you gave, sounds like a Kick Drum sound that has a long release tail and a pitch modulation that has a long tail as well.

I would probably approach building that particular kick drum with two envelopes a fast envelope and a slow envelope and both would have pitch modulation on it.

Add in the relative contrast of having very few instruments playing to have more instruments being layered together, and you create a nice explosion of sound.

Pair in a crash cymbal for higher frequency filler and maybe some mid synth and you've got a pretty fat hit.  You can build a crash cymbal using noise as your primary source and modulating the sound with an envelope.

Good luck!

On 2/11/2016 at 10:15 AM, Cosmic Sounds said:

Alright, thanks man :)!  Yeah it's something I want to figure out how to make so I can use it in some songs.

Even a drop/(explosion of sound lol) like this at 00:03 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohesyd2Um20) in J-E-N-O-V-A Celestial.

This sounds like a cymbal layered with a dance kick (such as from Vengeance Club Essentials; there's a fast pitch envelope), a sub bass drop, and perhaps an ambient rim shot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...