Computer Near Death?

Not 100% sure if I should put this here or off-topic, but since most computer savvy people are likely sooner to visit here this is where I'll start.

Anyway, in the last week, I've been noticing that when I put my PC to sleep, it randomly acts basically as a shutdown instead. The light indicating the computer is asleep still flashes as usual and when I click the mouse to wake it up, the power indicator light turns solid and the fans spin to life. However, the mouse doesn't light up and I'll have a black screen for several seconds before the computer shows me the ASUS start-up screen and then asks me to log-in. Upon doing so, any programs I had open have been closed. I've checked and none of my power settings have changed and I can't find this problem on Google =/

I'm paranoid because I get the feeling this is an omen of some impending hardware failure. Any suggestions or ideas as to what could be the problem?

Under warranty? Send it back for repair (make sure you back up).

If not, try a reformat to see if anything in the operating system was the culprit. If not, it's a hardware issue (suspect motherboard) and you need a new machine.

If you're not used to regular reformats and don't like the hassle, swap in a different hard drive with a fresh OS install. If it works after that, you know it's either the old hard drive or the operating system on it.