Giving permission to use an OC ReMix in a game?

timaeus222

I know there's an FAQ question about it here:

http://ocremix.org/info/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_use_OC_ReMixes_in_my_YouTube_video.2C_website.2C_livestream.2C_podcast.2C_radio_show.2C_etc..3F

but I want to make sure. I got a message on twitter about using some of my past OC ReMixes in a new Steam game; if I say yes, could that infringe on any copyrights? I know the game will be sold for profit.

Hopefully I can answer with everyone being at MAG, they can correct me if they need to when they get back. 

It wouldn't infringe on your "copyrights" but would infringe on the publisher of the original composition, so for everything to be above-board you would need to license the composition from the original publisher. OCR releases the remixes for free in a non-exclusive way, for use in media that is not monetized. To monetize a remix as part of a product (either by OCR or by another entity) without appropriately licensing the material, would infringe on the publisher's rights and they would be entitled to take action against the product. So in short OCR doesn't do it, and you probably shouldn't either, without licensing. 

Ask that dev if they'll cover the licensing fee in addition to giving you your payment (not take it from your cut). But if they're trying to get remixes of existing music over twitter that they can just use in their game, they're probably not being too ethical about it. Tho it's not for me to judge.