Pokémon: Forget Ultra Sun and Moon, Core Game for Switch Announced

The Damned

Christ.

The Fire Kahuna was a silly little challenge (spot the incredibly obvious differences!) but that Totem fight afterward...

I had full team, and all of them were higher levels and had no weaknesses to Salazzle's attacks.

That is, until it called for an ally. Which was a Salandit who spammed Venoshock. In case you aren't aware, Venoshock doubles in damage if the target is already poisoned. That's a move that hits for 130, which is the same as Overheat and Draco Meteor.

So Salazzle hit everything with Toxic, and then Salandit hit my team with a boosted Venoshock.

Every time I recovered HP and/or status back to normal, BAM! Hit with Toxic and Venoshock. Team is down to one and I barely manage to pull through with 3 HP left.

I've been playing since Red and I know the battle system and mechanics. But this... this was unexpected. That AI, working in perfect cooperation...

Fuck.

So, I didn't get to finish Y over Thanksgiving like I'd hoped (I spent most of my time doing things like "hanging out with family" and "eating delicious food", silly me) but I did make a fair bit of progress.

I know I'm behind the times on this, but man, Lysandre goes from zero to genocide pretty damn quick, doesn't he?

On 11/23/2016 at 0:03 PM, The Damned said:

Team Skull is either the single greatest villainous team in Pokémon history, or the fucking worst bunch of losers to ever coordinate fashion together. I can't decide.

I can't tell if they're really well designed or just silly and ridiculous.

They are both, so you get to be right twice. Nice!

I am having fun with the game so far, I have a pikachu and have just finished the water challenge. The art is cute and I have like 50 different pokemon! It's been fun and It is really helpful to have an expert in the house that I can question repeatedly. 

On 11/23/2016 at 10:03 AM, The Damned said:

Team Skull is either the single greatest villainous team in Pokémon history, or the fucking worst bunch of losers to ever coordinate fashion together. I can't decide.

I can't tell if they're really well designed or just silly and ridiculous.

Moving further into the story, I actually appreciate the reasoning and purpose behind all of their antics. It... actually makes them pretty sympathetic. I was pleasantly surprised.

They're still goofy as fuck, though, and I enjoy every bit of that, lol.

2 hours ago, jnWake said:

I'm just before the Fire trial. Trying to decide who to use as my Fire Pokémon. Most of my options have a typing clash with another member of my team so I'm unsure. I'd pick Magby but I'm not sure if I can get Magmortar before the E4.

I recommend the new Marowak, myself. He's done me wonders as a mixed attack based fighter, and his new typing (Fire/Ghost) helps in quite a few fights, especially if you didn't get the grass-type starter (... which I did - double ghost FTW, I guess :P). It's also fun to try out the new Alolan variations whenever we can, eh?

You find him in the same area as the Magby, so it's not hard to find, though he starts as the normal ground type evolution prior to Marowak (it evolves into the Alolan variation at Lv. 28).

On 11/29/2016 at 5:18 PM, Gario said:

I recommend the new Marowak, myself. He's done me wonders as a mixed attack based fighter, and his new typing (Fire/Ghost) helps in quite a few fights, especially if you didn't get the grass-type starter (... which I did - double ghost FTW, I guess :P). It's also fun to try out the new Alolan variations whenever we can, eh?

You find him in the same area as the Magby, so it's not hard to find, though he starts as the normal ground type evolution prior to Marowak (it evolves into the Alolan variation at Lv. 28).

At night. You get Alolan Marowak by evolving at night when hitting Level 28.

So, a while ago, I suggested that you guys start filling up PokéBank (if you have it, that is) with whatever pokémon you got laying around, in preparation for the day PokéBank is updated to use with Sun and Moon. I did, back around November 12th or so, because I heard that doing so would rack up a bunch on PokéMiles and Battle Points.

And boy, are they racking up. In three weeks, I went from none of each to 33 points and a 330 miles. All from ten minutes of transferring entire boxes at a time (press Select until the arrow in the Box system turns Green, you can highlight and select everything all at once).

By the time PokéBank is good to go with Sun and Moon, I should have about 2000 PokéMiles and 500 Battle Points. By all accounts, fighting for Battle Points in Sun and Moon isn't any easier and tedious as it was in prior games.

So, just in case anyone has missed it, there is a Global Event going on now to catch 100 million pokemon. Game sync via Festival Plaza then join the Global Event and you can start adding your pokemon to the total.

If you participate there is a big pot of FP in it for you. Event ends on 12/13/16.

Also...http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/another-chance-at-arceus/

• DarkeSword changed the title to Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Moon, Core Game for Switch Announced