OCR03541 - *YES* Suikoden 2 "Do You Remember?"

Emunator

This sounds really good - reminds me a lot of the type of collabs that DJ Mystix used to submit. Posting here to get a quick vet on the detail work, production and source usage, but this seems like a pretty solid collab from my first few listens - Emunator

--------------------------------

edit 10/18/16:  Jorito has asked that this track be posted in the regular cycle since the album has been canceled.

-------------------------------

NOTE 1: This track is part of the PS1 20th anniversary album album.
NOTE 2: This is version is not yet mastered and therefore maybe a bit low in volume. You will probably have received the mastered version from Ivan Hakstok or me before you’ve reached this track in the queue :)

Contact information:

Remixer name: Jorito
Email: 
Website(s):
Userid: 3899

ReMixer name: JoyDreamer
e-mail: 
Website(s): 
Indie Game Company: http://spherical-studios.com/

ReMixer name: Lauren the Flute
e-mail: 

Remixer name: XPRTNovice
Email: 
Userid: 27705

Remixer name: Trev
Email: 
Userid: 32157
Website(s):

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Suikoden II
Name of Arrangement: Do you remember?

Names of songs arranged: Reminiscence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7CKWhNB4Es)

Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

I was waiting for the vocal recordings for another track for the PS1 20th anniversary album and basically just had some free time on my hands. Since I felt like making another track for the album I did some random browsing of PS1 RPG tunes when I stumbled upon this beautiful piece by Miki Higashino. It instantly inspired me and just begged to be remixed.

So I just started working on something, replacing the piano from the original with a guitar arpeggio and playing the leads on a flute VST doubled by a whistle. Next was the violin part which I added as a counter melody and a few hours after finding the song I had a decent WIP going.

I passed the preview to Ivan, who said “hey, it’d be cool if you could get a flautist, I think I saw somebody on Youtube who could do it”. So I did some searching and found Lauren, who incidentally created her own take on “Reminiscence” not too long ago. She was happy to work together with me on this track for some great flute and whistle parts. 

Or as Lauren notes:

"This is my first time participating on an OCRemix track and it's been a great experience. I really appreciated working with Jorrith, even when we kept running into the technical limitations of my instruments. I think it was a learning experience and a discovery process for both of us in the best possible way, and I'm really thrilled with how it turned out!"

As fate would have it, in the related videos I found Joy’s vocal cover of “Reminiscence” and it was so good and moving that I immediately approached her if she would be so kind to re-record for me. Again, a very enthusiastic reply and another great performance. Or as Joy sums it up:

"I was really thrilled when Jorrith reached out to me about this collaboration and I was honored to work with these amazingly talented musicians. It was a lot of fun to record and I'd love to be part of something like this sometime again.”

At that point I basically felt that my remaining MIDI parts weren’t good enough anymore and that I needed more real instruments. I approached Trev, who also claimed a track for the album, for the violin and string parts, and XPRTNovice, who I worked with before, and again happy faces and very skilled and inspiring performances. 

Trev agrees:

"I recorded my parts with an SM57 in my violin studio in Chapel Hill NC, where I teach and practice. The violin is of the 19th century and crafted in Mittenwald, Germany. I really love this track selection for its orchestration and beautiful harmony, and there one section where I overdubbed myself 16 times to emulate a string section. I'm happy I could contribute!"

I really feel all these performances did the track a lot of good and you hardly notice the MIDI in the background anymore :)

So in hindsight this track came together as a set of stumblings, happy accidents and collaborations with great artists that are very cool people to work with. And I think it shows in the end result. I really dig it and it  wouldn’t have been nowhere as good with these talented performers. Was it worth all the hard work of coordinating, synchronising and playing producer? You bet!

Full cast:

Flute and penny whistle: Lauren the Flute
Vocals & lyrics: JoyDreamer
Violin(s): Trev
Acoustic guitar: XPRTNovice
All the other stuff: Jorito

Lyrics:

Do you remember?
Do you remember?
Do you remember that time?

Fate suddenly brought us closer
than we ever really could see.
Fate suddenly turned you to wander,
wander together with me.
Fate taught us to share our secrets,
to always keep fighting as one.
Fate taught us that though you are grieving
always believe that we'll move on.

Face our fears together and cry our tears together
Through all these years together, you see.
Laughing out together and being proud together
Without a doubt together we'll be, you and me...

Bye,
Jorrith

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/07/17 - Suikoden 2 'Do You Remember?' *PROJECT*
  • Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/07/17 - (2Y) Suikoden 2 'Do You Remember?' *PROJECT*
  • 2 months later...

How have I never heard of this game or source...? I need to play it sometime - if the rest of the soundtrack is even nearly that good, I'm seriously missing out.

Damn, getting a lot of KateTheGreat19 vibes from this one. The performances are spot on, and it's quite a rich arrangement overall. All of the performances nail it, and I'm glad to hear all of the people you managed to get in collaboration. The mezzo-soprano vocalist could be mixed more to the front, as she gets slightly lost behind the other instruments from time to time (in fact, arranging the instruments so they didn't occupy similar ranges would've been a good idea overall). You can still hear her, though, and honestly it's a minor point against a great arrangement.

Awesome work, can't wait to hear it on the album (and on the front page).

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/07/17) *YES - TAG* Suikoden 2 'Do You Remember?' *PROJECT*
  • Liontamer locked this topic