*NO* Super Smash Bros. Brawl 'No Items, Fox Only!'

Emunator

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/08/07 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 'No Items, Fox Only!'
  • 3 weeks later...

Drums are cool, albeit a bit muffled, but there's some cool glitching up going with them, with some cool drum soloing/breaking up towards the middle.  I wasn't a big fan of the other elements in the track.  The marcato strings are performing very mechanically, and feel too muffled as well.  This also applies to the solo violin, I think the overall sample quality and the sequencing of the performances is not good on the orchestral elements.  The synth lead solo had a bit of portamento but was otherwise a very simple saw with not much articulation going for it.  

Regarding the arrangement it was hit and miss, the first section flows well, but the melodies in the second section after the drum breakdown (around 2:05 and on) don't fit the groove well, they feel separate from the rest of the mix harmonically.  Some of the other elements such as the quick piano notes before this do work though.

Overall the production issues regarding sample quality and humanization bring the mix down.  There's energy and cool drum sequencing but the rest of the mix does not follow along.  

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/08/07 - (1N) Super Smash Bros. Brawl 'No Items, Fox Only!'

Haha those captions!  I submit that no one should attempt to pee in a tsunami.  I'd be more likely to try to FLEE in a tsunami.  But I digress.

Filtered intro, cool, but I keep hoping the filter is going to open more fully, the whole track sounds muffled.  Those DnB drums and glitches are very cool.  Seriously is there a high cut on this entire track, where are the highs?    

The strings don't feel like they fit with the rest of the soundscape, somehow you've got to mix them so they sound like they are in the same space.  At 1:02 the lead synth cuts through so well that it really sticks out from the rest of the muffled soundscape.  That lead could also use some vibrato or filter movement, it is very plain.  When the soundscape gets dense, the strings seem to make everything sound midrange-muddy.  The piano sounds very mechanical, especially when it is exposed at the end.

I like this arrangement.  I don't know this source so I'm not sure if I recognize it here or not.  On a cursory listen it seems to be represented well enough, mostly in the strings as Wes mentioned.  Regardless, the mixing issues are dealbreaker for me.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/08/07 - (2N) Super Smash Bros. Brawl 'No Items, Fox Only!'

Ohh, this is a great start! I really like this source, and I like the direction you took for it. But I'm afraid your remix isn't quite there yet.

The drums sound great. They're easily the best part of your entire track. They pack a great punch, and the writing is varied. Nice work there. The arrangement is nice overall, and I think the writing is acceptable on all parts. 

My main issue is with the expression, or the lack thereof, especially in the melodies. Everything is very static. The marcato strings are the first obvious offender, then the solo violin, then the piano, then the saw lead. The mechanical piano could be an acceptable design choice, but I think it's currently off because it sounds very cheap, especially because it's so exposed. I recommend looking for better samples, doing some velocity work in the piano writing, and experimenting with some effects to make it sound more interesting. Also, I think improving the expression in the lead parts (violin and saw) would be what your track could benefit from the most. For the violin, you should look into humanizing techniques, and maybe try to find better samples as well. For the saw lead, I strongly recommend against using a single non-stop legato melody like this. You should let it breathe once in a while, especially on those longer sustained notes, which could instead be slowly released, for example. Some bends, automated filter effects, etc. would also help make it more dynamic. The sound itself is very plain and could use some more work (you could layer it with other oscillators/synths, add effects such as slight distortion, etc.)

I also agree that the production would require attention, about which I recommend following Chimpazilla's advice.

Best of luck!

NO (resubmit)

• DaMonz locked this topic