Brandon Strader

Hometown Heroes: Check In & Recruiting

41 posts in this topic

Hometown Heroes
Created by Mirby, directed by Brandon Strader and Mirby

Welcome back to the Hometown Heroes project, starting up again here in 2016.
There are existing claims -- if you are one of these remixers, please check in!

The original concept for this album was to remix town themes from obscure games. However, any town theme from a video game will be acceptable, and optionally you can choose to mix in a hero theme into your mix (to use 2 sources for the mix). This is entirely optional, but will help to see the HomeTOWN HEROES concept a little more. It will be interesting to see how people interpret this, especially with heroes being in stylistically diverse towns. 

Right now we're in a check-in phase, so currently no deadlines or WIP dates. Please check in, and feel free to make a claim.

Tracklist

Persona 2 Innocent Sin - Sumaru City (claimed by @AMT)
Radiant Historia - Mechanical Kingdom (claimed by @Arrow)
Phantasy Star IV - Motavia Town, Dezolis Town (claimed by @AngelsDen)
Kingdom Hearts II - Twilight Town (claimed by @Tuberz McGee)
Tsugunai - Early Afternoon in the Village (claimed by @Ivan Hakštok)
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - Slateport City (claimed by @Chucklehofft)
Illusion of Gaia - Village Theme (claimed by @DjjD)
Ys III - Trading Town of Redmont (claimed by @Jorito)
Monster Hunter 3 (tri) - Village Theme 1 (day) (claimed by @Amphibious)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Town (claimed by @Metal Man)
Threads of Fate - Serene Town (claimed by @thatandyguy)
Soul Blazer - Lonely Town (claimed by @evktalo)
Dragon Slayer 6 - Town (claimed by @Jorito)

Important final note, we will be targeting an official OCRA release. As such, the quality bar is a little bit higher than it was in the previous incarnation of the project. If you have finished mixes made for the previous version of the project, please submit them to the panel so they can be evaluated!

Jorito, Chernabogue and evktalo like this

Good to see this project making a comeback, the concept is so cool that it deserves it :) I like the idea of an optional hero theme incorporated in it.

Checking in. I have one track good to go and already submitted to the panel, and another one 80%-ish done. Both tracks are in the project forums too, C&C appreciated. The second track (from Ys 3) has another track from Ys 3 mixed in, but it's not a hero track. Hope it's not a problem.

Brandon Strader likes this

Nice to see it back! :) Maybe I'll claim something once I'm done with my current load of projects (something more obscure like from a Digimon RPG game).

Tuberz McGee, Mirby and Jorito like this

All sounds cool so far!

Some may have noticed this is targeting OCRA now -- no hard feelings if anyone chooses to drop out because of the additional work and stress involved with that. For those that aren't quite there yet but want to give it their all, we can still try to work it out and see if we can get you there. :)

1 minute ago, Chernabogue said:

Nice to see it back! :) Maybe I'll claim something once I'm done with my current load of projects (something more obscure like from a Digimon RPG game).

Well... we could also try this collab-on-some-orchestra/cinematic-stuff idea ;)

But yeah, I have a current project load too that I need to clear first (like 4 of 'em).

Chernabogue likes this

So this is an album of village themes in general right, not limited to RPGs?

11 minutes ago, jnWake said:

So this is an album of village themes in general right, not limited to RPGs?

Mmmmyes. Maybe even city themes *gasp*!

The initial idea was for RPG town themes, but there's plenty of amazing town themes that aren't in RPGs, so yeah.

I like the non-RPG and hero theme expansiveness.

@Brandon Strader, I took my Legend of Dragoon track to Ivan's PSX album while this project was in limbo, but I also had a WIP of this Soul Blazer town theme and I'd like to keep working on that instead. I have some other ideas (and existing WIPs that might fit) as well but best finish some tracks first!

Brandon Strader and Jorito like this

If anyone needs any suggestions feel free to ask me for a few ideas. I still have some suggestions that I'd love to see remixed if folks want to tackle them.

Come on folks, get excited!

Here's what I've been looking at, it's really difficult to choose a town theme. I finally at long last settled on this non-lyrical theme from NieR

I'm not 100% sure on writing my name down for the claim yet, though, mostly because the soundtrack is so good that it'd be a bit of a shame, a bit of an insult, if I did something with it. I could mix it with a hero theme such as Yonah or Kaine themes. 

On to other things, here's a couple of Town/City themes that I would like to see someone try to remix, although I don't think anyone could do it. I don't even think I could do it given a few months. 

^ The entire game of Remember Me takes place in the city of Paris, maybe not quite what the project concept had in mind, but with games becoming more modern this is kinda what happens :)

For laughs here's 1 more town theme, though not one I would say is overly difficult to remix. It's just a really enjoyable theme.

I've got 2 other town themes in progress that might fit the bill, but since I already have quite a list of tracks and albums I need to finish first I won't commit to anything just yet. And since I already contributed 2 tracks I'm not sure a 3rd track is a good idea ;)

I'll keep an eye open though, I like the theme enough to do one more :)

I'm still here, and still interested, but life had been crazy for me over the last year, and I never had time to even start on my track.

Life is still hectic for me right now in a sense, but significantly less so; it's only bad when I'm at work, and I'm almost always able to get all my work done AT work and not have to give up hours at home.  So basically, I do have time to focus on this now.

That said, I'm still a low-skill musician here, at least in a production sense, so if we're aiming for OCRA now, I'm absolutely going to need help, whether that's an outright collab or just a lot of people giving me advice.

Brandon Strader and Jorito like this

Happy to lend some advice here and there! Having said that, the judges at OCR always have the most issue with my production skills so not sure how helpful that is :P

On 3/5/2016 at 3:31 AM, Chernabogue said:

If this happens, you know where to find me. <3 

Jorito and evktalo like this

Funny you say that, Chernabogue, the original post had a link to some town music from Digimon World Dawn/Dusk that would probably be fodder for a good remix. It's already structured in such a way that if you want to go a lyrical route again it wouldn't be too hard to adjust.

2 hours ago, Mirby said:

Funny you say that, Chernabogue, the original post had a link to some town music from Digimon World Dawn/Dusk that would probably be fodder for a good remix. It's already structured in such a way that if you want to go a lyrical route again it wouldn't be too hard to adjust.

Never played those, I was thinking about Digimon World 1-3 ^^

To be fair, you said Digimon RPG and the Digimon Story games are the most RPG-heavy Digimon games lol

though I think my fiance would be happy no matter what you remixed from those lol

Just spoke with ectogemia, unfortunately he's no longer interested in the Alundra remix, so if we can remove him from the tracklist that would be great.

That's cool, we could do with a little smallening -- it'd be awesome to have a tight single disc experience. Around 13 tracks is probably solid for a single disc, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring at some point too. I'm pretty satisfied even moving forward with the current group of people (not all of which have reported in). Have you talked to anyone else apart from ecto? Feel free to send me a PM so we don't end up coordinating in this thread!!

It'd be awesome to get a few more town theme remixers involved here.. I figure a few more folks may drop out. Though everyone who expresses interest in staying on, even if they need help to pass the panel, we can give it our best work. 

I also spoke with Tuberz, who was still on board. Plus he's posted here so yeah lol

Jorito likes this

Thanks Mirby for getting this project started, and thanks Brandon for picking this up. Glad to see this is still happening. Let me know if you need anything.

Jorito, Mirby, evktalo and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

Let me know if you need anything.

ReMixes of town themes :)

This is a great community, if we all work together, there's no reason for something like "Hometown Heroes" to disappear. OCR is our Hometown!

Jorito likes this

7 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

Thanks Mirby for getting this project started, and thanks Brandon for picking this up. Glad to see this is still happening. Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks to you for coming up with the idea in the first place haha