*NO* Jurassic Park (SNES) 'Trapasaurus'

Emunator

This is loud and over-compressed to high hell (it's hovering around -4DB RMS by my count) but there's some really excellent sound design going on here. Arrangement seems to check out but damnnnnn... production needs some advice from those who can articulate it best. ~ Emu

----Contact Info

juliantheexplorer
Julian Plonski

---Sub Info

Jurassic Park (snes)
Trapasaurus
Mountain
This remix is a representation of the chaotic experience of this game.  Your tired, scared, short of supplies but still find the desire to run. The main pan flute hook is how I began the remix and as I built on top of it, I found myself challenging myself to keep up with it's high paced vibe, which ironically reminded me of the game it self.
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, great source to use - always been one of my favorites. You clearly use it throughout, and the arrangement is actually pretty interesting. The sounds that you utilize are quite interesting, and actually make for a pretty cool arrangement.

The production, though, could use a lot of work. There's a good deal of clipping that occurs throughout the track - most of the instruments that you utilize sound like they're playing far too loud. While this applies across the board, a few instruments are particularly offensive, in this sense - the hi hats and snare, various SFX you sprinkle throughout (like at 1:42), and the synth used at 1:33 are all especially loud. Also, be careful with the bass drum; I understand that this is trap, and the bass drum needs to be powerful, but you can't make it so loud that it nearly causes clipping on its own. Mix it loud and build around it, as that's what you do in trap music, but don't overdo it and cause clipping.

The bass tone of the drum is problematic, as well. All of your instruments are loud to a fault, but your bass drum's tone doesn't seem to go deep enough to carry the track, nor does it necessarily match the key of the instruments playing the source - from what I hear, it's a whole step lower than the melody above. It's incredibly important for the bass pitch to be correct, otherwise the music played over the bass makes no sense. From what I hear, I think you could get away with playing the primary tone in the bass drum an octave lower, as well, to give it more presence.

The instrument that comes in at 1:03 isn't playing pitches that make tonal sense, in the context of the track. Most the rest of the track makes sense where the pitches are laid out, but that instrument is consistently off. Be sure to fix that so they sound more in line with the rest of the instruments (maybe make them play a whole step lower, as well - that would make them sound alright). Moments like at 0:44 also sound oddly hollow - it's like the accompaniment that you built up prior just didn't continue like it was planned to. This leads to quite a few moments where that flute alone doesn't quite work well (1:19 is another example of this happening). 

I actually really like the sound design, and when the instruments are working well together I feel this hits the source nice and hard. However, due to the production issues, as well as the pitch issues for the bass drum and the synth that comes in at 1:03, I'm going to have to say NO on this one. Fix the clipping that occurs throughout the track, fix the pitch for the bass drum and synth, and be sure to fill in the more "hollow" moments that I mention earlier, like 0:44. You have some really cool, rich moments throughout (like at 2:24, that was a pretty well filled moment), so I know you can make the track interesting and full when you need to. If you'd like more focused feedback, we have a WIP forum that can give you some excellent feedback, as well - I highly recommend presenting this track there, as well. It's a great source, and you take it somewhere unique, but it isn't quite there as it is. Good luck!

NO

First, you need to limit your track.  It's clipping all over the place.  If you are using a vst-enabled DAW, this is a great free and simple tool you can use.  Just put it at the very end of your mastering chain and make sure the output slider is set to -0.1 db or less.  That alone will save you from any clippings in this track or any other.  Second, watch your levels.  You don't want your track hitting the red until you're doing the final compression/limiting.  Try to get your global levels around -6 to -9 db on your master mix (before efffects) so you have some headroom to play around with eq/compression/other effects in your master.  Gario also had some good production advice that should be heed.

Regarding your arrangement, it shows promise, the trap approach works ok for this theme and you had some interesting sound design choices there.  The drum sequencing was good as well, and the different melodies showed customization, although less melodically varied than in the original.

I would really want to hear this with the production issues fixed and then see how it fares, right now just on production grounds this is just too flawed.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/08/10 - (2N) Jurassic Park (SNES) 'Trapasaurus'

Nodding my head at the above votes here.  I won't beat a dead horse here on the volume levels/distortion here, but that's the biggest and more prominent issue on the track.  Gario realy has given a treasure trove of good prouction advice so be sure to read his analysis carefully

I will add that writing on the transitions around 1:00 and just before 2:00 felt odd and didn't bridge contrasting sections well.  The synth lead in around :40 wasn't quite on point either as it doesn't really sync up with the rest of the elements.  Make sure you connect the dots on the A,B,C etc sections so they flow smoothly and logically.  Ending was pretty sudden and didn't feel like it resolved the track well.

There are some really cool ideas and interesting sounds on display here, but quite a bit of work on the production side is needed to get this to its full potential.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2015/08/10 - (3N) Jurassic Park (SNES) 'Trapasaurus'