Fl Studio 32 Bit to 16 Bit Render

Hi there,

i have a question about working with the 32bit Buffering on flstudio.

I use Kontakt5 and it really annoyed me, that when i used to many sounds at the same time and it became louder, it sounded really distorted. I found the function to activate 32bit buffering on my flstudio file and got rid of the problem when playing the song in flstudio. But like i suspected, when i rendered it in 16bit wav or mp3 file, the distortion/overdrive was back.

Now i could just mix it down a bit and make it less loud, but i want my song to be as loud as possible.

My Question now is: is there a way to export it as mp3 oder 16bit wav, but keep it as loud as the project file originally is? Is there a render setting i overlooked? Or do i really have to make everything less loud.

Thanks for your help

8 hours ago, flappy said:

Now i could just mix it down a bit and make it less loud, but i want my song to be as loud as possible.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your problem but, unless you're rendering to 32 bit wav and distributing that you're going to have to get it under 0db eventually anyway. That's the loudness limit with 16 bit audio, you go over 0db it will clip(distort)

12 hours ago, flappy said:

My Question now is: is there a way to export it as mp3 oder 16bit wav, but keep it as loud as the project file originally is?

Yes, it's called learning how to mix and master. Bit depth has nothing to do with loudness. It's amplitude resolution. Max volume is max volume, no matter what resolution you can get between 0 and max.

Loudness is about signal energy, frequency balance, dynamic range, etc.

thanks for your replies,

13 hours ago, shadowpsyc said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your problem but, unless you're rendering to 32 bit wav and distributing that you're going to have to get it under 0db eventually anyway. That's the loudness limit with 16 bit audio, you go over 0db it will clip(distort)

the volume isnt above 0db

10 hours ago, Neblix said:

Yes, it's called learning how to mix and master. Bit depth has nothing to do with loudness. It's amplitude resolution. Max volume is max volume, no matter what resolution you can get between 0 and max.

Loudness is about signal energy, frequency balance, dynamic range, etc.

i used east west colossus and gold in the past. there wasnt any problem with distortion. when i'm now loading the same nki files/samples into kontakt, i have to lower the volume about 3-4db to avoid distortion.

• 2 months later...

By the way, i have a question about this. 

As I am not a professional on mixing and mastering (and far from it as my final mixdown of my productions can be rather.. well not just professional), and because i have to export the project with 16bit int (still 512-point sinc though) if i want to test the track on my car hifi as i have kind of a cheap player that can't play high bit rates even though kind of good speakers there, i sometimes have settled for it for the internet upload too. But nowadays i also have exported the 32bit floats from FLS, and the thing is, i haven't noticed super big differences between these two types of wav files anyways.. maybe..

Can you guys really see some huge differences between those two?

No, not me; I did use 16-bit int for a while, but I actually have been using 24-bit int for a few years. Any differences I may or may not have heard are really minor (w.r.t. 16-bit int/24-bit int/32-bit float).

You'd sooner hear quality issues if you decrease the bit rate (e.g. 192 kbps vs. 224 kbps) upon encoding than if you decrease the bit depth (16-bit int, 24-bit int, 32-bit float; basically bit resolution, analogous to pixel resolution) upon render.

-----

However, whenever I have rendered 32-bit float WAV files, encoding into VBR1 MP3 via WinLAME gives me a silent MP3. My 24-bit int WAV files don't run into that issue.