Submission Information:
Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Name of Arrangement: Dracula's Secretaries
Name of Songs Arranged: Room of Close Associate (less prominently:) Beginning

Links to Originals:

Room of Close Associates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYm6N5aM2wI
Beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYunQCkW8HQ

Comments:

Of all the songs I could have remixed for Vampire Variations III, the climax of "Room of Close Associates" caught my attention. When I heard it, I knew, this one was the one.

"This needs BIG! LOUD! TROMBONES!"

Oh, right, that's only 15 seconds out of the entire source. So, what do I do with the part of the song that equates to musical gibberish? Eh, I'll throw some woodwinds at it, they can handle it. Everyone else can play whatever. Chord progression? What? Whoops, I didn't mean to put the drum of impending doom in there. Actually, he can stay. He sounds like he knows what he's doing.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/08/16 - Super Castlevania 4 'Dracula's Secretaries' *PROJECT*
  • 3 weeks later...

That's what I like to read, stories of confident songwriting.

Anyways this is an excellent arrangement, way past our bar in regards of interpretation.  The scope of this remix is huge, and the song explores a lot of territory during its long duration.  I feel like the song could've been condensed further, down a minute or so, although it possible could've affected tension and flow.  But I do believe it is a big longer than it should be, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Leaving this vote on to finish my thoughts on source usage and production later.  If those check out this is definitely a yes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK here's a rough source breakdown:
0:10-0:17 / 0:27-0:45 = Beginnings (woodwinds)
0:46-01:15 = RoCA (woodwinds)
01:16-01:46 = RoCA 2nd half (brasses)
01:52-02:20 = RoCA (strings/brass)
02:20-02:30 = RoCA (variation, woodwinds)
02:31-03:20 = RoCA (bridge arp, piano and woodwinds)
03:21-03:53 = RoCA (2nd half, Church Organ)
04:10-04:45 = RoCA (2nd section-0:55 in original.  Brasses)
...That's already over 50% so we're fine.

Production seems fine to me, I was worried about the levels the first time I listened, but listening again on fresh ears I hear some grit in the mix but nothing reaching distortion.  The performances are well humanized and sample quality is great.  Awesome arrangement with tons of variation and reinterpretation of the original!

YES

Production checks out for me, everything is crystal clear, the trombones may be a tad resonant in the higher notes, but overall this production is working really well.  I'm loving this dissonance.  Great dynamics throughout the piece.  Great track, I love it.

I'm not familiar enough with these sources to say if there's enough, so I will need to revisit that.  Any J who is familiar with these sources that could check source use would be appreciated.

edit 4/8/16:  Thank you Mike for the source confirmation!  Easy yes now.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/08/16 - (2Y) Super Castlevania 4 'Dracula's Secretaries' *PROJECT*

Very strong writing here.  I'm liking the complexity in the arrangement and adaption of the original tunes.  Great transitions, dynamics, instrument interplay, and oh did I mention writing?

Production-wise, this is really solid work.  Minor nitpick, the brass (esp french horns) sound a bit too dry/exposed during some their more prominent lines.  I'm hearing the same resonant in the trombones as Kris, but agreed that it's also very minor.  I can't really think of any others, geez.

Great stuff.

YES

• Nutritious changed the title to 2015/08/16 - (3Y) Super Castlevania 4 'Dracula's Secretaries' *PROJECT*

Well, this is a very strong demonstration of arrangement skills! The source content was explored significantly, in a very creative manner. The progression is excellent, everything works very well. I'm loving this attention to detail that is notable throughout the whole piece in the writing of all parts. With the source usage confirmed (thanks Mike!) this is indeed an easy pass. Nice work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03343 - *YES* Super Castlevania 4 'Dracula's Secretaries' *PROJECT*
  • DaMonz locked this topic