*NO* Mega Man 3 'Title Theme (Uplifting Trance Mix)'

Chimpazilla

Needs a real title if this passes.

• Your ReMixer name - DaLift
  • Your real name - Daniel Ramos da Silva
  • Your email address - 
  • Your website - dont have one
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile - I Really do not found my userid in settings or profile

Tittle:

Game arranged:  Megaman 3
arrangement:  Uplifting Trance / Orchestral Trance
individual song arranged: Tittle screen Theme

Due structure of trance and progression, it got longer than 7 minutes length 
(8:13 to be exact)

Here is link of MP3 hosted in zippyshare:
Megaman 3 - Tittle Theme (DaLift Uplifting Trance Remix)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/08/09 - Mega Man 3 'Title Theme (DaLift Uplifting Trance Mix)'

Good idea here, although many similar takes on this theme have been done in the past before.  There are several production issues to be found, first the overall compression seems too biased towards the kick and bass, and in some sections (specially in the climax) it's very hard to distinguish anything behind the sidechained rhythm.  The breakdown around 2:45 is drenched in reverb and delay, way way too much.  The drum samples are of good quality but the sequencing is very stale and boring.  I know, this is trance, but some things CAN be done to the beat to shake things up a bit, interesting drum fills, variations for the breakdown, slight modifications at the end of the beat, or rolls. But I didn't hear any of that, and sequence variations were limited to taking off the kick at some spots.

The mix has a lot of very high frequency content above 17khz, which could be either cut or toned down before the compression, as in some instances such as noise rises, it's overpowering the mix.  However our ears tell us that the noise itself isn't enough to do so because the amplitude doesn't feel that high, but this is just because we can't actually hear those very high frequencies even though they're at least 3 db higher than the rest of the mix in these instances.

My main gripe with this song is the arrangement however.  Although it has many underlying energetic elements that keep the mix going, the song tends to meander about for too long in some sections without any significative evolution.  However the biggest offender is the handling of the original melody, the breakdown has the original melody played verbatim on the piano, twice without change.  Later the main synth lead adopts this same melody, however it's shifted 1/8 forward, which makes the whole arrangement feel off.  It's specially noticeable when you alternate between the in-time melody and the next measure is completed by the shifted-forwards melody.  I think around 3 minutes are dedicated to this melody without much interpretation going for it.

I don't think this song is too far from our bar but the issues are glaring.  I suggest trying to fix them and hit us up again with an improved version.

Also, give your song a proper name.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/08/09 - (1N) Mega Man 3 'Title Theme (DaLift Uplifting Trance Mix)'

That's one beefy kick!  The track goes on until 1:23 only playing one note (F#) , I get that it's trance but that's a bit too long.  Then from 1:23 until 1:51 there's just that F# and minimal harmony.  This intro would work if there was something more interesting to hear like some filter movement or little arps or something.  There are only vague hints at the melody until 2:45, when as Mike pointed out, the source is played verbatim on a piano, and wow is that piano quiet and distant compared to the beefy section that preceded it.  That whole middle section , what the heck happened for it to be this quiet?  Dynamics are a good thing but this just feels wrong.  At 4:08 the buildup begins and the melody is still playing there, I like that.  By 4:35 though, the soundscape is so dense and I'm looking at a waveform sausage.  I think you could sidechain many more elements during this second verse, including pads and (to a lesser degree) leads, to gain some breathing room.  I'm not hearing any distortion, but I'm also not hearing any dynamics, this section is just too dense.  Trance outro with just the single note again.  The ending cuts off cold.

I like this idea and your approach here, it just needs some more finesse to pull it off properly.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/08/09 - (2N) Mega Man 3 'Title Theme (DaLift Uplifting Trance Mix)'

Lots of great points already brought up here.  

First 1:50 was essentially a generic trance intro with no source usage.  Same with the outro minute or so.  I get this is a trance-specific thing, but less repetition would be welcome.

Oddly, when we do arrive at the full melody on piano, the volume on it suddenly drops significantly.  With so much delay on it and the low volume, it becomes sort of a jumble in the background, rather than the clear melodic line the whole intro has been building to.  Same issue at 3:40 with the B section from the original.

4:07 transition is really awkward.  The hit comes in a early, which is really jarring when you're listening to the preceding melody line.  The first part of the melody is on the correct beat, but the second half is then a beat off from the tempo.  I'm not sure if these are due to sequencing errors or are intentional, but I don't think it's working here.

Balance-wise, the kick and sustained notes are really drowning out the melodic lines.  Also, this track is mastered really hot.  Once 4:35 rolls around, everything is competing for space due to so many loud elements that the track becomes very cluttered.

As mentioned, I'd like to hear more variation & personalization on the melody lines from the original used here.  Besides the partial usage during the intro/outro and the off-beat 2nd half of the melody used sometimes, the melody lines are all used verbatum from the original.

It's a good start and has some great ideas, but issues with both arrangement and production need to be addressed to reach the bar.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2015/08/09 - (3N) Mega Man 3 'Title Theme (DaLift Uplifting Trance Mix)'