OCR03342 - *YES* Kirby's Adventure 'Silver and Gold'

Chimpazilla

remixer: Brandon Strader

Hi!

Well this feels weird... I haven't submitted a remix in what feels like 6 months or more.. Not even sure if I remember how to do this (remix OR submit one!)

Game: Kirby's Adventure (NES)

Title: Silver and Gold

Link: 

I made this last night <_< (8/27/15) between 7pm-9pm and 12am-3am to finish it off. If anyone's really interested to know, I would say 7pm to 7:30pm was loading instruments, 7:30pm to 9pm was writing the structure.. then midnight to 2am was recording the live instruments, and the last hour or so was finishing the mix/master. It came together really quick because of the source being really good and memorable, been listening to it for years. I was originally just gonna have it be a meaty bass and lead electric guitar, but things changed on the fly around midnight. I made this as a tribute for Satoru Iwata, and submitted it to DoD's Iwata month. The goal was for it to be a lot more minimalistic than it ended up being, mostly due to the acoustic guitars adding too many details. It has been a.... challenging..... remixing year for me, but it felt like old times and was really refreshing to do this just like I used to.

Good stuff per Brandon's usual. The piano sample needed more body and humanization to it, but it wasn't a huge deal. Love the textures here, and the electric guitar soloing, while performed with some perceived stiffness at times, filled a nice role here. Sweet resolution at 3:51 as well. Relaxing adaptation, cleanly mixed with every part able to be appreciated, and nicely executed!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/08/27 - (1Y) Kirby's Adventure 'Silver and Gold'
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, as expected from Brandon, pretty fantastic, very clean production too.  The ballad style combined with the super-happy tone that 95% of the kirby songs have posed a bit of a dichotomy, but I feel some aspects of the arrangement, such as the guitar solo which was more interpretative of the basic motifs, helped sober down the tone a little, even if some sections such as at 00:57 felt fairly whimsical.  

Overall lovely arrangement that hits the right cues for me.  Loved the pristine clean production.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/08/27 - (2Y) Kirby's Adventure 'Silver and Gold'
  • 2 weeks later...

Great soundscape here. While predictable, I like the lighthearted style. I enjoy the attention to deal exhibited here that is a fairly strong hallmark of Brandon's creative prowess. I thought that some of the performances could have been slightly tighter in spots, but this is only a minor complaint, and I would prefer this over rigid quantisation. I also thought this mix played it awfully safe in its style and felt a little repeaty on the final 3rd portion. Overall though, great mix.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/08/27 - *YES - TAG* Kirby's Adventure 'Silver and Gold'
  • Liontamer locked this topic