What Do People Want to Hear at MAGFest Concerts?

I have a personal goal to play a live show at MAGfest. I live in Japan so this is not going to be easy. But before that, I just want to know what people go to MAGfest concerts to hear? There are already millions of game music cover bands playing there, right? Do people just want more covers of the classics? Do they want bands covering less popular games? Do they want original music? I have lots of ideas for cool concerts I'd like to throw and now I finally want to create a set and go there and do it?

Well the whole west vs. east thing, just because it's mostly western remixers covering far east material makes it to some extent western music.. There's also as far as I see, the issue of a lot of old VGM being chiptune and itself not having much of a Japanese sound. Even beyond the issue of not featuring adequately sampled/recreated erhu, shamisen, and other stereotypical instruments, the writing style to some extent gets lost -- and there are a lot of imitators that seem to have blurred the lines a little bit in the oversaturated chiptune scene. So now you don't even know where a piece of music originates.

But yeah I think Jahan is in the perfect position to bring a Japanese flavor to some metal for MAGFest, of course it's up to him not anyone else. Erhu and shamisen sound amazing in metal, and some kotos too. Not a lot of people are doing that. 

I might actually go to MAGFest again if it's to support Jahan and his music. 

Yep @Brandon Strader I definitely see your point actually, and concede to your well considered response.  I know the following band is a bit of a money machine, and as such isn't the best example but I think it pulls off a lot of aspects extremely well. Especially the fusion of genres, and the combination of traditional and modern instruments.

Alright alright, I like listening to Babymetal. Sue me :D But I do think this approach at MAGFest would be eaten up

MORE IMPORTANTLY @The Legendary Zoltan, whatever you decide to do at MAG will be the right choice. Mr. Strader is correct that you are in the perfect position to meld both hemispheres, and your skill and ability to do so are unquestioned. But o'course it's up to you

• Liontamer changed the title to What Do People Want to Hear at MAGFest Concerts?

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, ignore whoever said Baby Metal, you can't do Baby Metal because it WILL end up like this and you DON'T want this as a lasting career choice:

2 hours ago, The Legendary Zoltan said:

Those are cool videos you guys posted. Thanks. I didn't expect that kind of answer. Interesting. . . OK. I got it! ACTUAL Baby Metal. That is, Japanese children's song death metalized! It's genius! MWAAA HAA HAA HAAAAAAAA!

Metal opera of Momotaro! it needs to be done!  "kiiiiBIIIDANNNNNNNNNNNGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  ...'s are tasty"

I've been wondering about the MAG selection process for awhile and also have an interest in doing a live show at some point after i get an album or two out. What factors do they consider when booking people?  Is it all youtube subs?   I've seen some people get promoted from the smaller "stages" (the out of the way conference rooms that no one can seem to find) to the main stage the following year and at the same time i've seen some great acts get demoted from the main stage to the smaller rooms and eventually to not being given anything.  

That Nippon Manju song is great.

OK. I'm having an idea that I'm slowly becoming committed to. I've already done a game-inspired death metal album. I think to make something really masterful, I should double-down on what I know. So I'm thinking Valkyrie Profile Viking Death Metal. Original songs with "references" to Valkyrie Profile songs. That means it's mostly original but there might be a bit of a Sakuraba melody in there somewhere. Kind of like how Dragon Force is original but plays a Double Dragon guitar solo note-for-note in the middle of the song. I would basically be making another full-length album before going "on tour" to MAGfest. What do you think?

Valkyrie Profile does drama better than almost any game out there. 20 or so people die in very dramatic circumstances. Some of them have love affairs involved, it's amazing. And actually, I have sitting on my computer not one, not two, but THREE songs that I wrote based on three of the scenarios in the game over 15 years ago. I never recorded them or anything. I wouldn't use those though. I'd go all new. There's just so much inspiration to be integrated into some Viking Death Metal.

More video game covers! Of classics and less popular tunes alike.

Bit Brigade is the best thing you'll ever see live. Stuff like Metroid Metal and Armcannon kicks ass too, but I'm also always down for some straight cover action a la Minibosses or The Advantage (or Vic Viper the new gods of straight covers). Live Jazz/funk VG remixes kick ass as well (Super Soul Bros and The Oneups are always great). 

When it comes to stuff that isn't only VGM I love bands like Marshall Art or Auto Scroll who do lots of chiptunesy stuff mixed with live instruments (but they do VG covers too). 

Oh and Super Guitar Bros brings tears to my eyes every time. When it comes to stuff I'd be down to have more of I always lean towards metal so more stuff along the lines of Viking Guitar or Armcannon would rule. Or go all out on the ridiculousness factor and party it up like Kirby's Dream Band.