* ambient

* Alex Gventsadze

* dnbient@yahoo.com

* amb.siamey.com

ReMix Info

* Chrono Cross

* People Seized with Life

What's up guys and a lady!

Finally, decided to submit my new Chrono Cross remix. This remix took me an unprecedented amount of time - I actually started working on it about the same time when I started working on Chronodyne Marine. The mix has undergone numerous revisions and the only thing remaining from the very first version is the main arp (which took me hours upon hours to write, and months to find the right synths for). When I first started working on it, I didn't know much about how to put trance together, but gradually I was inspired and learned from blind's and siamey's work. So, everything from beats to textures to arps took alot of time and thought.

While I was working on it, MaZe got interested in the source tune, and actually made and submitted his trance take on the theme.

Why People Seized with Life? Well, I remember Miguel kicking my ass in the game, and the music was quite fitting.

Anyways, I hope you guys like this trance remix. I know trance remixes usually fight an uphill battle, but I think my rearrangement factor is strong, which is usually the main downfall of trance submissions.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard this remix before somewhere. I dunno if I pre-judged it for ambient or not. But it's very familiar.

Eitherway, this is more like what a trance remix should sound like. All the sounds are good, including the synths and not just the beats like other trance mixes tend to end up like.

You've rearranged the source well enough. There could probably be a little more variation in there, but it's trance so you have to expect repetativeness (Note: I'm not making exceptions for genre. There is enough rearrangement here to classify this piece as a remix.)

This is a YES from me.

Ha, this one ain't slipping past me :) I've probably heard about 50 revisions of this at various points and given ambient various different pieces of advice on it, some of which he took and some of which he didn't (at least, not verbatim). The reason I say this is because I *had* a lot of complaints and things I thought needed to be touched up, but I went through so many with him that we basically covered all the bases. I this is a strong rearrangement with good production and creative sound design. Everything comes together well. As TO said, this IS what a trance mix should sound like. It's not like bLiNd, it's not like Siamey, it's not like sgx... it's a unique style that works.

YES

Ohshi, TRANCE! Get away! Get away! Get away!

NO

Wait, resist bias clearly inherent in the panel against trance!

[rethinks...]

Ohshi, TRANCE! I be movin'! I be groovin'!

YES

Wait, resist bias clearly inherent in the panel towards trance!

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 216 "People Seized with Life"

Aight, so I thought the synths and some of the processing ideas were a bit bland. I'm admittedly a bit more of a fan of edgier and unique-sounding techniques from the heavy-hitting electronic guys like SGX, but, shit, check out the arrangement on this one.

Without even substantially referring to the most familiar verse of the source melody, Alex built a pretty strong, interpretive trance arrangement. Focused a lot on interpreting first verse of the original, which was a pretty interesting approach; I'm sure some people familiar with the source will be disappointed that the chorus from the original didn't factor into this much.

The effect on the string-like synth filling out 1:32-1:50 sounded a bit low-quality, but it's a minor issue. Section from 2:39-3:17 felt notably cramped and the melodic content of the arpeggiated synths simply cluttered together with the bassline and beats. Pretty messy and grating, IMO. Some effect that you stopped at 3:17 seemed to remedy the issue. Ending at 3:42 cut out a bit abruptly there.

The constant buildups and breakdowns ambient employed kept the energy and interest level high throughout the course of the piece. Solid arrangement that goes into very interpretive and evolving territory without ever losing sight of the original. Looking forward to more, Alex, very impressive.

YES

• 2 weeks later...