Touhou-ish ZUN music? (Also piano improv but mostly the ZUN)

https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/fwugradiation/13528293577 This guy, the awesome guy that made Undertale and probably some other stuff, made this post where he piano improv'd three songs. Then this person  https://www.tumblr.com/audio_file/sylvysprit/129177054062/tumblr_nuqrw468yy1tabxqx?play_key=e6ba8f023e92bbb5aaf06052cd0c6551&tumblelog=sylvysprit&post_id=129177054062  made this and it sounded even better.

1. That kind of Touhou-ish Zun music... how do I make that style of music? I'll probably need the right VSTs or soundfonts. A google search turned up nothing after six pages and three rewordings. What do I need to do to emulate Touhou's style?

2. How do I learn to make piano improv this good?

It is, it's just kinda dead for whatever reason. I have a thread with similar disinterest.

To answer your question, don't try too hard to emulate Zun's style. if it doesn't come to you naturally, then it would take more time to accomplish than you probably want it to. That kind of thing, if your style isn't naturally similar to his, requires little more than obsessive study and a LOT of time and patience devoted to it. The good news is that it can absolutely be accomplished if you really want it that badly (like I'm still doing with Motoi Sakuraba), it's just a question of how much time and patience you want to devote to it. Piano improv is the same, you keep working on it until you strike the right stuff, remember what you did to achieve it, and just keep working on it. There's not a technical process to it, you just keep working on it.

As far as VSTs go - don't worry too much about that either. Coming from a guy who's spent 10 years trying to achieve "sounds", it's an even bigger time sink. That particular example sounds like a rompler of some kind, maybe a Korg or Yamaha sound module from the mid-to-late 90s. It ain't Roland from what I can tell. You can probably find that info somewhere in a hardcore Touhou group or something. What's more important is you find VSTs with sounds you like and work to get the right combinations out of them to make it more uniquely yours.

My two cents anyway.

Edited by Meteo Xavier
"Late-to-mid". lol.

1. Study the compositions. Transcribe it yourself if there's no sheet music or MIDI or whatever /howdoimakeliterallyanything

2. Play piano for hours a day for years.

From the way you're going about this I'm going to assume that you are pretty young, you still have a lot of neuroplasticity and that makes it far easier for you to develop general skills like playing instruments and transcription now than it will be later in life. Work on skills rather than "what do I need to download for this?", you'll be glad you did in 10 or 20 years.

On 01/04/2016 at 1:19 AM, Flexstyle said:

@ Anyone who reads this thread and wants to give advice: don't do it. It's a trap. This guy will not dialog, and will only keep asking more ridiculously open-ended questions.

Okay, you suck.

In my thread, i did dialogue until I understood something. Then I asked more questions, to not spam the forum.

Neuroplasticity sounds like some BS word a hippy would use to make themselves sound better, like toxin or toxicity.

I am now looking for a midi pack for touhou. Also, are there vsts for the stuff mentioned in this thread? I only have a laptop right now.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:02 AM, Winning900 said:

Neuroplasticity sounds like some BS word a hippy would use to make themselves sound better, like toxin or toxicity.

It's a fairly common term in the health field.  It's your nervous systems ability to adapt to new stimuli.  As you get older it gets tougher to learn how to do things efficiently and it takes more time to learn something someone younger would understand quicker.  When I went on clinicals at various hospitals I had a chance to work with the elderly and the neurologically impaired and saw how much longer it took them to learn relatively simple tasks.  

Also toxin and toxicity are not synonyms.  

BUT to stay on topic here, To do Touhou music properly it's really all in the note velocity settings.  It's EXTREMELY important that the velocity is set to 99 for EVERY note and under no circumstances should you allow it to change.  As long as you stick to that you should be good.  

On 04/04/2016 at 1:02 PM, Winning900 said:

Okay, you suck.

In my thread, i did dialogue until I understood something. Then I asked more questions, to not spam the forum.

I am now looking for a midi pack for touhou. Also, are there vsts for the stuff mentioned in this thread? I only have a laptop right now.

Make a midi file of a piece of music. This is a request, if you can do that then PM me and I'll provide as much help as you need.

There is a musical trap where the fun of learning how others create gives you the satisfaction as if you had made music and demotivates you from actually doing anything. If you need to be led then I recommend cloning music, find a song and try and replicated it as perfectly as you can and in doing so you will learn the practical skills of that musician.