*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Chasing the Masamune'

djpretzel

Starts off strongish, then gets a little meh... deserves some feedback, I feel like there are some cool ideas here. - djp

• Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy 7
  • Name of arrangement: Chasing the Masamune
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Chasing the Black-Caped Man
  • Link to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_iazvRLD4 
  • I loved the mysteriousness of the original track, so I wanted to keep that same ominous feeling while playing around with the beat and the atmosphere. 
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Very cool intro.  Once the beat kicks in, it actually felt a bit subdued energy-wise from the intro.  Source connections are quite clear throughout with heavy use of the melodies from the OST.

Overall, the mix sounds pretty dull tone-wise.  There isn't a lot of high end presence in general for each of the elements.  The beat (esp snare) sounds muffled and doesn't have a lot of energy behind it.

Several sections (like 3:14 especially) sound cluttered despite not being particularly loud.  Beyond the fact there are several elements in play, there's a lot of reverb and sustained notes which make the whole thing sound indistinct.

May be personal preference, but some of the lead writing felt needlessly complex - like notes were added between the phrases for the sake of being different/personalized rather than for musicality.

Note: not positive, but sounded like some possible wrong notes on the resolving chord (1:57, 2:06, 2:16, etc) between the chords and more prominent instruments.  May want to double check those.

I'd recommend some EQ work to give some upper-end presence to elements that need to cut through.  Also, another mixing/compression/mastering pass in general to get weaker elements like the drums to have better presence in the mix.  It's a great start and lots of potential here.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2015/09/27 - (1N) Final Fantasy 7 'Chasing the Masamune'
  • 2 weeks later...

Justin has a ton of really great advice here, and honestly I feel like there's little to add to what he's said. I will point out the solo with the OWA theme starting at 2:17 has some notes that aren't really working with the backing chords. I'd look over that section again to make sure everything is working well together. 

This has a lot of potential, and I think it would be a great candidate for our WIP forums. I hope to hear this again after its fixed up!

NO (resubmit, please)

Gotta agree with all of Nutritious' comments.  Really strong start, I was really wondering why this song had 2 rejections already! but the meat of the song is pretty weak sound design and arrangement-wise.  Sounds lacked character and performances weren't very interesting.  Very noodly variations of the original melodies, and quite a few wrong notes that I can't attribute to flavor or intentional dissonance.  Very abrupt ending as well.

This feels more like a Work in Progress than a complete song, if you manage to keep the same quality from your intro for the rest of the song and you fix the arrangement and get a better production going you may have a winner, but for the time being, 

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Chasing the Masamune'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic