djpretzel

Contact information:

Remixer name: Jorito
Website(s):
Userid: 3899

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Megaman X2, Megaman X3
Name of Arrangement: (Don’t Wanna) Hurt You

Names of songs arranged: X-Hunter Stage 1 from Megaman X2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGXAlB-krYc) and Gravity Beetle from Megaman X3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLi3QVuuQHk)

Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

This is the track I did in the Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet 2015, round 3. It combines the tracks  X-Hunter stage 1 from Megaman X2 and my Maverick’s theme Gravity Beetle from Megaman X3. Since my team’s name was Maverick Astley, it of course features some (IMHO subtle and enjoyable) references to our third source, Never Gonna Give You Up. This is most clearly to be found in the vocoded vox, but only using part of the lyrics gave it a more sinister touch, which I liked.

For completeness:

Give you up
Let you down
Run around
Desert you

Make you cry
Say goodbye
Tell a lie
Hurt you

Since the sources were pretty short, I incorporated as much of the leads and arps as I could. Source usage should be pretty identifiable, but here’s a breakdown:

0:00 - 0:45 - arp from X-hunter intro (0:00-0:03)
0:18 - 0:45 - lead from X-hunter (0:04-0:18, halftime)
0:45 - 1:12 - lead A from Gravity Beetle (0:26-0:50)
1:25 - 1:39 - lead from X-hunter (0:11-0:18)
1:42 - 2:16 - arp from X-hunter intro (0:00-0:03)
1:53 - 2:16 - lead A from Gravity Beetle (0:01-0:26)
2:16 - 2:27 - lead B from Gravity Beetle (0:26-0:50)
2:27 - 2:35 - ending from X-hunter (0:19 - 0:25)
2:41 - 2:52 - lead B from Gravity Beetle (0:26-0:50) with lead from X-hunter (0:04-0:18) as counter melody
2:52 - 3:24 - variation of lead B from Gravity Beetle (0:26-0:50) with 3rd source as counter melody

Cheers,
Jorrith

• 1 month later...

What a great transition between the themes at 0:45. Overall I felt the arrangement was pretty smart and fun, and the adaptions of the sources were good. I wasn't feeling the combination of the sources at 2:23, but that was pretty minor in the long run. 

The production was pretty clean, and there was a good use of panning between the melodies. Overall I'm on board with this!

YES

Stilted opening with the lead at :13; the timing really shouldn't be that blocky, but the overall instrumentation and textures are OK. The lyrics are unintelligible, but that's not a criticism. Fun way to reduce the "Never Gonna Give You Up" lyrics. Definitely with Deia that the theme transitions were effective, and I dug the energy once things picked up more at 1:35. Sounds like you had fun with this one, Jorrith!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/02 - (2Y) Mega Man X2 & X3 '(Don't Wanna) Hurt You'

Oh, beautiful blending of the sources in this. The first time I listened to this I didn't know when one source ended and the other began - they just meshed so damn well together. I'm definitely with Deia and Larry, as far as transitions go, too, it's very well done. Robo-Rick certainly adds some unexpected flavor to the track, and it worked great. The arrangement just nails it so often, I loved it throughout.

The production doesn't have anything that's dragging it down, that I can hear. The lead comes across as a bit too dry, overall, and the Megaman death sound is a bit of a tired cliche, at this point, but those are minor points against the great arrangement. Great track!

YES

Yeah I remember this.  These guys spent the whole competition rickrolling people.

Not a big fan of some of the wubs, which felt a bit out of rhythm at several points, which is a symptom of songs that just throw them around to get "dem dubsteps for the kids" in.  I also think they were too prevalent throughout the song and they got old after a while.  I did like the use of vocoding to add some flavor and the synth soloing was great.  The two themes were fused pretty well into a natural-sounding arrangement.

I'm not feeling this one as much as I'd like to, because of the issues above, but I can't disagree that it's a solid offering.  Definitely some creative usage of both melodies, which is what pleased me the most.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03359 - *YES* Mega Man X2 & X3 '(Don't Wanna) Hurt You'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic