*NO* Shinobi 3 'Japonesque (VGO & Girlz Melon Escapade Mix)'

djpretzel

Good stuff; love to see some Shinobi, too. Need vetting of arrangement, and we may need a new mix title. - djp

Remixer Name: Videogame Orchestra
UserID: 32297
Name of game arranged: Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Name of arrangement: "Japonesque (VGO & Girlz Melon Escapade mix)"
Name of individual song arranged: Japonesque (Round 1-1)  

Info: A collaborative track with the video game metal guitarist Girlz Melon :D

cheers!
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/04 - Shinobi 3 'Japonesque (VGO & Girlz Melon Escapade mix)'
  • 2 weeks later...

No time for intros, right into it, I like the way you think.  

The song is very close to the original.  The background chords are replaced with arpeggios but for the most part the drums, bass and leads follow the original rather closely.  The mix is balanced, the selection of sounds is fitting although not super rich, so not many qualms on the production side.

I think the arrangement feels rather repetitive for a relatively short song.  The song is begging for that guitar lead to be used in an awesome soloing section where some new material is introduced.  But it's limited to playing the original lead melody with almost no variation.  The drums are nice and bring power to the song but they feel on autopilot whenever they're playing, I feel like some fills accents could help it feel less stale.  The ending is abrupt and uneventful.

I enjoyed this but to get a pass it needs work in the issues mentioned above.  This is not far from the bar so I recommend giving it the push it needs.

NO (Resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/10/04 - (1N) Shinobi 3 'Japonesque (VGO & Girlz Melon Escapade mix)'

Yeah, this is a sweet cover with solid mixing and some good power, and I like the guitar work. But there's very little that distinguishes it from the original song besides richer instrumentation. The tempo and textures are basically the same, and all of the structure and part-writing is the same as the original.

4. Arrangement

2. Your arrangement must be substantial and original.
  • Submissions must be different enough from the source material to clearly illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. Acceptable arrangement often involves more than one of the following techniques:
  • Modifying the genre, chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms, dynamics, tempo, or overall composition of the source material
  • Adding original solos, transitions, harmonies, counter-melodies, lyrics, or vocals to the source material

There's just nowhere near enough modification of the original song here, including being repetitive and just ending on a loop point with no resolution whatsoever.

It's an awesome cover, and I wish we could have both V.G.O. and Girlz Melon represented here, but it falls outside of the arrangement and interpretation standards we're looking for. If there's anything y'all have that's more interpretative and personalized of an approach rather than a super-close cover, definitely submit that; would love to have you officially posted somehow!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/04 - (2N) Shinobi 3 'Japonesque (VGO & Girlz Melon Escapade Mix)'

Yeah, not much to add on the arrangement call here.  This is a great cover, but as mentioned, it unfortunately doesn't jive with the OCR arrangement philosoph.y

Production wise, man, that kick has a lot of presence here (almost too much?).  Would like the lead guitar to have a bit more presence in the forefront of the mix.  It's definitely clearly audible, but still feels like it could be more prominent.

Would love to hear something from you that's more interpretive as this is a really cool track for sure.

NO

• Nutritious changed the title to 2015/10/04 - (3N) Shinobi 3 'Japonesque (VGO & Girlz Melon Escapade Mix)'