*NO* Undertale 'Sins'

djpretzel

A little repetitive in the second half; some neat tricks, though, and good energy. -djp

---

Hi there, my name is Spencer Jones. I'm Swelljob on the forums. I've just recently made the account because I couldn't remember my old account from a long time ago, . My user ID is 32930.

I decided I'd submit a remix after many years of lurking and enjoying the site. Please let me know if you have any feedback on my submission, or if I need to provide any additional information.

This song is from Undertale, by Toby Fox. It's a remix of the song "Megalovania" that I've titled "Sins". You can listen to the original song HERE, but it has taken a few different forms over the years as Toby has included it in a few of his other games before this one. I partially adapted my version of the song from this midi, which I used as a guide for a couple of the more complicated parts.

I can understand if this

[cuts off]
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

This song seems to be very popular among he remixing crowd.  Production here seems hit and miss.  Some really interesting effects, loved the small details in the synths, and the filtering and pitch bending tricks used.  Drum sequencing is very interesting at some points, but for most of the time the song feels very empty and barebones, i think the soundscape could've been much fuller sounding, there's tons of empty space.   The drums tended to get behind the synths a bit too much for me.  Some synths such as the lead 1:05 felt like they weren't cutting through the mix enough.  

The arrangement was also hit and miss.  There is some interpretation going but there's also quite a lot of repetition throughout.  The transitions weren't well excecuted, such as at 1:45 (where the arrangement loses coherence for a while as well), and 2:31 where a better job could've been done with the transition to the big section that follows.

Overall some good ideas that need polish to bring the execution up to par.

NO (Resubmit) 

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/10/06 - (1N) Undertale 'Sins'
  • 3 weeks later...

Overall I'm agreeing that the soundscape sounds a bit empty. Done backing pads could help fill up that space and make the arrangement feel more expansive. The synth work overall has some really nice detail, though overall the arrangement feels pretty repetitive in the long run. A break from the main riff would do a lot of good here do the listener doesn't get to tired of the repetition. The arrangement as a while also feels a little stiff, and some humanization on the parts could help. Some more variation in the drums would also help out.

I think this is a solid start, and I think this is a great candidate for the WIPboards. Hope to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

Excellent votes & points above by Nuts & DA.  This is a good base here, but lots of room to fill things out more.  I'm not sure the extended break starting at 1:45 is working here.  It's mainly subtractive in nature (using elements from before, but less of them) and doesn't really introduce anything new to keep things interesting.  

As mentioned, drums could use a bit more presence up front - not major, but a staple of the DnB style.  Would've liked to hear more meaningful variation on the core 10-note pattern.

Still, some great ideas and cool synths on display here.  It needs more development in arrangement and some contrasting writing/synths would certainly help as well.  Great start, keep going!

NO resubmit, please

Edit:

"I am a remixer and"

"And what?  That's It? I'm a remixer and here's a million dollars? Oh, wait, I get it!  They got him!"