*NO* Bruce Lee '(no title)'

djpretzel

@Liontamer Check it out, a ReMixer from 2002! Mix is fun but repeats a bit, also not sure on arrangement & % sampling going on... - djp

Bruce Lee - first game I ever completed (C64). Not a whole lot of music to remix, but more a 'feel' thing.  Heavy sampling from the Enter the Dragon OST by Lalo Schifrin. 

(I completed it on the Atari 800XL which had no music - a lot of this is how I imagined it sounded, but didn't shy from John A. Fitzpatrick's bleeping melody)

• Your ReMixer name
Fuzz
  • Your real name
Rik Nicol
  • Your email address

• Your website

• Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile
4489 ?
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

Original: 

Enter the Dragon (Movie) OST:

As the artist stated, there's heavy sampling from the movie OST.  the underlying brasses and orchestral hits are from the ost, as well as the main brass melodies, and I can hear other minor things throughout as well.  I don't know how we would feel about this but I'm guessing it would be a NO on those grounds.  Regarding the arrangement, there's a lot of original and sampled material and very little from the actual vg soundtrack which was admittedly very simple (BTW Is it just me or I can hear a portion of the TMNT theme in the bruce lee c64 theme? o_0).  I did a rough estimation while listening and I'm pretty sure the vg music usage isn't 50% in this.  But I could do a timestamp later if necessary, though I don't think it's needed.

The song itself was fun to listen though, although on production grounds it was flawed as well, with overcompression and severe lack of clarity hampering the mix throughout.  Overall, a cool idea but it's breaking a few rules plus the production wasn't really up to par.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/10/13 - (1N) Bruce Lee '[NO TITLE GIVEN]'

Awesome to hear from Fuzz again; he's one of OCR's best 1-mix wonders. :-) Cool piece, and good energy, but it's a traditional remix of the Enter the Dragon theme with no connection to the Bruce Lee C64 soundtrack that I could even hear until the backing pattern first used at 1:40, then (finally) the actual VGM melody at 3:32. There's just way too much usage of a non-VGM source tune. If you could build an arrangement strictly off of the C64 theme, that would be great, because the sound design and mixing were very effective here, and I liked the beefed up approach to the actual VGM theme. That said, this is mostly sampling and remixing "Enter the Dragon," which is just a violation of the standards.

3. Acceptable Source Material

3. Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.

NO OVERRIDE