*NO* Undertale 'Symphonic Arrangement'

djpretzel

Don't know the OST as well as everyone else, but this sounded pretty good, if short... would need a new mix title. - djp

Remixer name: fluffy

Userid: 32967

Game arranged: Undertale
Song: Heartache
Arrangement: Symphonic arrangement
File link: 

Game information:
Composer: Toby Fox
System: PC
Comments: The original in-game version is an interesting mix of chiptune and pseudo-orchestral. I decided to make a version that only has orchestral elements.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

One of the better songs (all of the songs are great though!) Of the soundtrack. I like the approach to go fully orchestral. There's definitely some personalization in the arrangement, and while it is short I think it achieves a good arc of build-up and conclusion. 

My issue overall stems from the production. Everything sounds dry and mechanical. The instruments are all hitting at the same velocities and it sounds very unnatural. Aside from that the lower end feels pretty empty and the percussion is pretty repetitive. I'd love to hear you go over this and really work on humanizing the performance. 

I suggest bringing this I've to the WIP boards and getting some advice on how to fix this one up, there's definitely promise here. 

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/18 - (1N) Undertale 'Symphonic Arrangement'

Besides a more creative arrangement title, I actually would like to see more length and variation to the arrangement, given how structurally close to the source tune it is, but I'm on the same overall wavelength as Deia in terms of this personalizing the theme well for the genre.

That said, she's absolutely right on the sequencing and articulation critiques. Everything indeed sounded dry and mechanical; this needs humanization badly. Until that's in place (and done well), it wouldn't make it on production quality grounds. This is a good start in terms of the arrangement, but the production needs TLC and, frankly, more experience. I hope we hear more from you though, because you already show great potential with this cover.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/18 - (2N) Undertale 'Symphonic Arrangement'

I think this song would lend itself to this kind of adaptation pretty easily, which is why I was let down by the execution here.  As pointed out above, the performances are mechanical and articulations flat.  In orchestral music dynamics are VERY important for the flow of the song and we don't really get any of that here.  I think your mind is on the right place when it occured to you to try this adaptation but there is work to be done to make everything flow well.  

The arrangement is not overly interpretative and I wish you would've taken more liberties with the source material and structure.  We'll need to hear a better humanized version of your submission first, but I would recommend exploring the theme a bit further.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Undertale 'Symphonic Arrangement'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic