email: 
forums id: 5919-sil

game: Final Fantasy 9
name of arrangement: Winter Fantasia
name of tracks: Search for the Princess, Melodies of Life, Airship Hilde Garde
original composer: Nobuo Uematsu
link: 

Comments:

I originally made this arrangement nearly 10 years ago when my orchestration abilities were questionable at best, and only now got around to fleshing things out to make it closer to my original idea. It's partially inspired by the film scores of James Horner; one of my favourite composers. He passed earlier this year, so I dedicate this arrangement to him.
-----------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree with Deia, sweet arrangement but performances seem pretty stiff, and the not-so-great sample quality is not hidden too well.  The section at 2:33 is a good example of how this is hurting the song overall, as the strings are very mechanical and unnatural sounding, lacking human character in the performance.

A revision is in order to make the performances more believable, although I'm not sure it would require new sample libraries or better manipulation and humanization of the ones being used in this song.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/10/31 - (2N) Final Fantasy 9 'Winter Fantasia'

Great arrangement here - solid, nice changes in pace and emotion. No problems. I also think you've done well with your mixing, everything has a decent amount of separation and space.

As for instrument quality I can see where the others are having problems. I'm not an orchestral expert in any way, but some parts to me felt like they had a MIDI feel to them in the way notes transitioned from one part to the next. The attacks of some notes also felt abrupt compared to how hand played instruments normally sound.

I'm not sure how much this is attributed to your sequencing or the overall quality of your samples, especially for things like your brass. I do acknowledge however, that we do not require artists to use expensive sample packs, quite the opposite - we fully support those who have to make do with cheaper packs or even free sounds. The problem you face is, the lesser the quality of your samples, the more work you have to do by hand in the sequencer to make things feel realistic, especially if you're wanting to go full orchestral.

Tough one because I don't feel I can penalise you on sample quality alone, but I feel there is space here for some sequencing improvement to bring more of an humanised element to the mix. By all means however, if you're got some alternative sample packs there, experiment with them to see if they give this more life.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Winter Fantasia'