>       Website: http://www.heavenwraithmusic.net
>       Forum user ID: 50325

Submission Information

>       Game: Jazz Jackrabbit 2
>       ReMix Name: Sanfter Flügel Weilt
>       Original Name: Jazz Be Damned
>       Original Author: Alexander Brandon
>       Link to the file:

Since I tried to go with more of a vanilla/loyal to the source mindset, I believe the source usage breakdown is not really necessary, everything but the part from 1:52 to 2:53 is rearranged source. The main thing that inspired me throughout the creation process was "Shudder Before The Beautiful" by Nightwish, which, I believe, is quite noticeable for those who know the track. I dreamed of remixing this source track ever since I started remixing VGM, just did not have appropriate ideas for it, it's such a nice progressive track.

I don't know the Nightwish song, but this mix is pretty fun. As said, the arrangement is somewhat close in terms of melody and structure, but there's definitely a lot of personality in here.

0:20-0:29 (and other sections) has some harp runs that are pretty quiet in the mix, and on speakers are pretty much impossible to hear minus adding some mud to the mix. Aside from that things are pretty clear. The brass is a nice touch to the arrangement, adding some depth to the soundscape overall. Nice use of drums as well without getting overly repetitive.

Nice work here!

YES

Mix clarity wasn't perfect around the mids, and I hear the compressor effecting too much on the backings when the drums are hitting, but other than that I don't hear many issues with the productions.  The mix on the backings + drums could've definitely used some cleaning up for clarity, as the busy sections really suffer under the compression and non-ideal EQing but it doesn't distract me too much from the arrangement.

This arrangement feels more like an expansion on the original (which is awesome by itself) than trying to change it into something completely different.  It sticks close in terms of melody and structure but there are definitely additions that made it stand on its own, and sections like 2:40 broke he mold in a natural way.  Awesome performances on the soloing as well.

Overall, I feel like some may take issue with the lack of clarity for the backings in some sections, but I feel this is overall past our bar.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/07/15 - (2Y) Jazz Jackrabbit 2 'Sanfter Flügel Weilt'
  • 3 weeks later...

Right off the bat, the production quality got me hesitating a bit on this one. Things are very busy all the way through, and the mids are particularly crowded, and I feel like we're missing quite a bit of the detail work in the backing tracks because of that. Although, the core elements (mainly the lead, the bass, and the drums) are still easily audible, so the track remains very enjoyable and the mud can be overlooked without too much trouble.

The arrangement is quite safe, doesn't stray far from the original's direction, which is totally fine because it works. The energy is handled very well, and even though there are basically no breaks, the variations in the structure and the writing manage to keep things interesting. No stop signs, speed limit. Nobody's gonna slow this remix down.

Bottom line, this is a nice downhill ride with a healthy amount of face melting. I don't really care about that little splash of mud on my boots here, honestly.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/07/15) *YES - TAG* Jazz Jackrabbit 2 'Sanfter Flügel Weilt'
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • 2 months later...

I agreed with the others on the production being cramped and the mixing indistinct, but though it was a dealbreaker. The overall fullness of the track means the panning issues I'm having don't sound horrible, but IMO some of the panning was too wide and was needlessly disorienting.

The industrial style metallic percussion was a nice touch. Frankly, the synth from 2:53-3:12 sounded pretty atonal and awful, with very stilted timing, and was basically a dealbreaker by itself. I'll live with this being posted, but this deserved another production pass by Anthony.

NO (resubmit)