Starting to draw character (resurrection thread)

Jared Hudson

Well, clumsy me accidentally deleted the thread I made from over 2 years ago, well over 11,000 views (thanks guys). I was trying to edit a post and I couldn't delete something, and the "thread delete' button was very close to the editing window...sort of non-descript. I'd at least expect it to ask for confirmation of what I was about to do. Anyway, David Lloyd was kind enough to provide me with the HTML backups of everything over that two years so the pages are below. He said he MIGHT be able to somehow restore the specific thread but no promises. In the meantime, I'll pick up from where I last left off. I really messed up huh? :P

HTML Version February 2014 - February 2016 posts 

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8

And here I'll pick it up.

Hybolt City - Edison Square

Edison-Square.jpg

Kid Sketches

kid-sketches-refined.jpg

Arlo and Enzo exploring a map

Map-Kids.jpg

Arlo and Enzo Sherlock Holmes parody

Detective Kids.jpg

Daphne sketches

Daphne-Sketches.jpg

Daphne Secret Agent parody

Secret-Agent-Daphne.jpg

Spatula life study

arlo-spatula.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You going through something right now? Moving away? Or is it just a stressful trip?

I like the pattern about her waist.

I think would have liked her right hand to be a tad more interesting--maybe something more delicate like this:

7794618.jpg

As it is now, she's clutching it in her fist--could be a transference of your mental state, if you were especially stressed, but I think how she holds the flower will help sell the "happy place" and bring it to life a bit more.

Other than that, really nice atmosphere--feels thick.

On 4/16/2016 at 10:40 PM, dannthr said:

You going through something right now? Moving away? Or is it just a stressful trip?

I like the pattern about her waist.

I think would have liked her right hand to be a tad more interesting--maybe something more delicate like this:

7794618.jpg

As it is now, she's clutching it in her fist--could be a transference of your mental state, if you were especially stressed, but I think how she holds the flower will help sell the "happy place" and bring it to life a bit more.

Other than that, really nice atmosphere--feels thick.

Hey thanks! All really good points. You're right on the hand. I should've gone for a more relaxed and "dainty" feel. This piece was very "in the moment" for me and I sort of blasted through it without much refinement. As usual, hands are tough lol. As the question for the stress, let's just say that my roommate situation has got so bad that the NYPD has been involved. It's time to leave. Good news is I was already planning this for July, so it's only been accelerated.

Here's a 1 hour sketch I used with reference for young Arlo kicking a ball at a school game. A little bit of gesture practice. Hands are meh once again lol.

soccer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2016 at 10:34 PM, dannthr said:

That sucks, man!  But at least you're getting out of there!

Pose looks great, nice energy!

I have a more interesting time with hands after some hand studies--you could try re-rendering some dynamic hands but with your 4-digit style:

http://windsweptsummer.deviantart.com/art/Right-Hand-Reference-28509739

Hey thanks man. Sorry I haven't been active. My life just drastically changed and had to get everything in order. Now I think I'm getting back on track and better than ever. :D I'll definitely look at the hand studies.  Also, here's a video update I just made.

New piece...Morning Commute

Here we have Titus having his typical morning commute to Lockridge Industries in Hybolt City. What goes on during his day to day tasks? Who knows, but make sure you aren't one of those "tasks". Even the young boy looking behind him knows this guy is a bit scary hehe.

http://fxscreamer.deviantart.com/art/Morning-Commute-609282191

Titus4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...