OCR03435 - *YES* Double Dragon 2 "Tag Team"

Sir_NutS

#shamelessselfpaneling

Artist: Sir_NutS feat. Jivemaster

Name of the games arranged: Double Dragon 2
Name of the arrangement: Tag Team
Name of the individual songs arranged: Stage 2 'At the heliport'
Links to originals: 

Sup guys, Mike here with a new sub, this time featuring some Jivemaster goodness on the vox.  I started this remix after I evaluated a remix of this song on the panel, after listening to the original I found that I liked it quite a bit, and also found it weird that I couldn't remember this song from my NES days (I guess I'm getting old)

I decided to take the synthpop approach with it,  it has a retro sound but not the usual style I do which is more towards spacesynth/italo; this one is definitely more pop than anything.  For the arrangement I kept most motifs but expanded upon them with extra harmonies and variations, as well as some soloing.  I've been incorporating more of my keyboard performances on the songs I've made in the past year and I feel I'm getting a better hang of it with each song.  Or at least it's taking me less hours to learn a melody now.

For this song I used my newly acquired Roland JU-06, which is a hardware synth that emulates the legendary Juno 106, one of my favorite synths of all time.  I used it for the bass, chords and pads more specifically, while the leads were mostly patches I made on serum and synth1.  I'm very happy with the results, and the fact that the ju-06 is so good I don't need to layer things with it anymore, it's just the single patches I created, with some mixing effects on top.  All tied up on a neat Bitwig package.

As pointed out at the start, this song features Jivemaster on the vocal and vocoded bits.  Enjoy!

Melodically straightforward but very well adapted. I actually thought Joel's vocals were initially too far forward in the soundscape, but they're totally fine. I also felt the ending could have used a longer taper or delay effect on the last note, as it ended abruptly, but it's just minor nitpicking that doesn't affect the call.

I'm surprised you don't remember this theme; I loved it back in the day! Nice job giving it a boost of energy!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/04/08 - (1Y) Double Dragon 2 'Tag Team'

I've heard this track several times as it has developed and I love it.  Great sound design, great energy.  I love Joel's vocals, I think they fit into the soundscape nicely.  The arrangement is pretty conservative but the remix provides some really creative interpretations and the track is mixed really well.  Fun listen, recommended!

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/04/08 - (2Y) Double Dragon 2 'Tag Team'

Man the original track is sick.  Let's see what you did with it.

Cool old school electro vibe.  Man Nuts, I don't think I've listened to much of your stuff in a while because I haven't heard you make anything like this.  Loving the synth work here.  Cool stereo effect on the snare to widen it out.  Great lead synth work.

I agree the voice is a bit loud when it first enters and the listener isn't really prepared for it.

Arrangement wise, the connections and expansions are definitely clear - no complaints there.  It felt a bit meandering with the breakdown section as it passed the 2 minute mark, but it got back on track quickly.

TAG

• Liontamer changed the title to (2016/04/08) *YES - TAG* Double Dragon 2 'Tag Team'
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03435 - *YES* Double Dragon 2 "Tag Team"