*NO* Street Fighter Alpha 2 'Notice Me, Senpai!'

DragonAvenger

Thank you for your time and your feedback!

Contact
by Docjekyll
twitter: @jhnsnc

forum: Docjekyll

no website (well, not for music anyway)

Remix

This remix began as a simple loop I wrote ages ago when I first picked up music as a hobby. At some point I got the bug to go expand on it and turn it into an actual song.

The remix is meant to be an exploration of what might be going on in Sakura's head as she thinks about Ryu. It starts with a sort of daydream section, builds to a point of focus and determination, and then follows her internal dialog from there. Hopefully the song conveys the mix of emotions while staying true to the source material.

I think I can actually say this was produced with FL Studio versions 6-11 (if you count the simple loop I originally wrote years ago).

Please email or tweet at me (@jhnsnc) if there are any issues with this submission. Thanks!
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Not really feeling the intro voice clips. They have so much reverb they are pretty much unintelligible. The melody at 1:14 is hard to make out compared to the backing track; a different lead synth that is stronger would be a better choice. The synth at 1:54 is much better, but the part is noodly. I think smoothing out the rhythms and revamping the solo a little. The next section has the difficult to hear melody, but after that things are a bit stronger in the leads and melody.

On a similar note, the backing part gets fairly repetitive over the course of the track. I do like that you put some variation into it, which definitely helps, but I think maybe another break or some more changes would help out. 

Lots of little crits there, but they do add up. I think the soundscape overall has a lot of good sonic choices, and a good depth. The energy is pretty high on the track which is great as well. I think this is pretty close, and you just need some final refinements. Check out our WIP boards and get a little bit more feedback, but I'd love to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Senpai has noticed you 8)

Def with Deia - found the voice clips during the intro a bit abstract and somewhat out of place at the start of the mix. I also found it a bit odd for that particular section to go on as long as it did. To me the intro could've achieved the same build up effect in a shorter period of time.

Once the mix starts at 0:45, I'm enjoying the blipply lead you have going on. At 1:03 however, it just gets lost in the mix, which is not good because it's carrying the main melody of the song. This happens again at 2:21.

Kick is ok but a little weak, and the bass could be somewhat stronger and more identifiable.

The bridge transition at 1:39 and 3:11 sounded very abrupt and weird to me - for some reason it didn't sit right, like an abrupt key change or something. It also felt like there were some bad notes in there to boot but I believe these may be due to the original source tune, so perhaps this feeling is coming from backing elements, I'm not sure.

Arrangement wise I'm enjoying your changes between different sections, as well as your riffy lead work dotted throughout the mix which add a personal feel.

I see this mix has a few problems to solve, to try and summarise some of the above:

• Takes a bit too long to get going
  • Lead is lost in the mix, especially in the "chorus" sections where it should be mixed to be fully audible
  • The bridge transitions are abrupt

Overall I think this is going ok but submission is a little premature, would like to hear a resub with the above addressed.

NO

The weird voices in the intro were... weird.  Nice textures used here though, but beyond this intro, there's not much to be interested in when it comes to this song.  The bass is VERY weak and the drum sequencing is very basic.  The lead at 1:13 seems to be subdued under the main arpeggio, which should be the opposite.  1:55 is very nice and feels closer to what the proper balance should be.  I feel that overall the track lacks energy due to the weak bassline and drums.  In main four on the floor sections, even a small clap would help accentuate the drums a little bit.

Regarding the arrangement, there's plenty of interpretation, 2:45 is a section where you expanded the melody with your own original writing, sadly this feels very weak still due to the bare bones elements, and this section drags too long in the same level with not much evolution.  I felt sections like 3:25 felt better than the full sections because they felt fuller and better balanced.  There are some odd drum variations around 1:25 that don't feel like they fit well and break the groove pretty badly.  

Overall this is not bad but not good enough for a pass yet.  I think you need to make your main sections more prominent and fix the balance regarding your kick and bass with rest of the mix.  If you want to keep the drum sequencing minimal that is fine but having a very basic drum line also keeps the energy levels pretty linear which is not helping much differentiate the different sections.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Street Fighter Alpha 2 'Notice Me, Senpai!'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic