*NO* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Mettan'

Chimpazilla

Hello again!

This track was initially made to be used in a bachelor party that i threw for the groom, who involuntarily had to rap and sing along :P
During the intro, a piano subtly plays the main notes from Super Smash Bros Wii U theme, and the finishing sample in the outtro is from Nintendo 64’s Ocarina of Time.

Real name - Hallvard A. Ulsund
Email address - 
Website - www.farkaudio.no
ReMixer name - Fark
Userid - 53571

Name of game arranged: 
Zelda: Link to the Past (1991, SNES) “Dark World” & “Zelda’s Lullaby"

Name of arrangement:
“Mettan" 

Original Composer - Koji Kondo

Own comments - This track was initially made to be used in a bachelor party that I threw for the groom, who involuntarily had to rap and sing along :D

This track is fun.  I REALLY like it.

This submission, based on arrangement and interpretation alone is a solid pass for me, however the production is heavily holding this back.  The overall compression is really harsh and brings the whole mix down, the mix lacks clarity and sounds a bit muffled, which means that perhaps the different elements aren't being eq'ed well and given their own space.  This mix gets very busy at times, and proper eq is important there.  Some sounds I wasn't a huge fan of, such as the woodwinds in the break and the piano which sometimes sounded quite tacky.

The piano melodies in the background sometimes felt a bit disconnected, although I appreciated the dissonance introduced at times.  The break at 1:50 needs to be changed though, as it pales in comparison to the rest of the arrangement.  The break was needed for the awesome re-introduction of the theme later, but I don't think this particular idea works, as it sounds cheesy (in a bad way) and thrown together.  You may want to try to change the instrumentation and melodies used there.  I did enjoy that you articulated your pulse lead very well and it doesn't sound boring.

This arrangement though, it's really awesome.  Your style falls squarely between Halc and Protricity, a lot of 9-bit goodness and great interpretation of the original themes, while also having sort of an industrial rock feel driving the song in the beat, guitars and general soundscape.  The usage of samples from the game was hit and miss though, sometimes I thought it worked great, such as near the intro, but other times it felt cheesy, as near the break.  I think they could be less exposed and loud.

I really want you to take the feedback at heart and work on this for a resubmission.  This is a very inventive remix and it takes the original themes into territory I hadn't seen explored before.  I encourage the judges to look past the very evident production issues and check the arrangement out, it's really fun and detailed.  For now though,

NO (PLEASE RESUBMIT)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/11/09 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Mettan'

Some sidechaining of the kick into the bass and the loud pads would reduce the overcompression issues quite a bit, as it stands now the mix sounds unnecessarily busy when everything is playing.  Sidechaining will also give this mix more groove.

The arrangement is indeed very creative!  Some of the sfx work, and others not so much, like the treasure chest sfx at 0:27, it is completely off-timed with the tempo of the mix and just sounds sloppy.  All the sfx are too loud and dry so they sound tacked on.  I like what you did with the melodies a lot though, starting with a recognizable line and then moving into a solo, very slick!  The breakdown is interesting but borders on cheesy.  I think if the sfx have a touch of reverb or delay on them (don't overdo it though!) this section will be more believable.  In the final passage, the overcompression is really evident, as is the lack of sidechaining, and that pad is much too loud (but it might be ok at this volume once you've sidechained the kick into it).  

Please fix this up and resubmit it, it's very cool!

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/11/09 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Mettan'

First off, I agree about the killer arrangement. The break around 1:50 feels a bit out of place, but apart from that the arrangement is amazing. Great job there!

I also have to agree about the production holding this back, though. The soundscape feels very busy, and it sounds like we're losing a lot of precious content from your arrangement because space is not being distributed properly. Watch out with the compression, and try to attribute specific frequency ranges for each clashing intrument to focus on, by carefully editing their EQ's. I also feel like there's quite a bit of reverb and delay on most of your tracks, which may be one of the central causes of all this cluttering. Try to cut the lows of these effects, and maybe consider generally toning them down to let the track breathe a bit more.

This is an awesome track, I really hope you'll rework it!

NO (resubmit)

• DaMonz locked this topic