Name of Game(s) Remixed: Undeadline
Additional Game information:
   System: MSX, Sega Genesis, Sharp X68000
   Developer: T&E Soft
   Genre: Shoot ‘em up
   Released: 1989
   Composer: Kazunori Hasegawa

Name of Arrangement: Marching Towards Roshufa’s Spirit

Names of songs arranged: Forest (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npS8oZf3AkI#t=6m11s)

Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

I originally started on this Undeadline remix 5 years ago, in a bit of a rock vibe (for giggles sake you can find it here: http://www.jorito.net/files/undeadline_v2.mp3) but never finished it (and to be honest I’m glad I didn’t). Undeadline is maybe an obscure gem, but a gem it is (it won the game of the year award in Japan in 1989 iirc).

Fast forward to 2014, where I participated in the People’s Remix Competition and won with my “Enter the Illusion” track which found its way to OCR. Because I won I got to pick a track for the next round, and being the MSX home computer nostalgist that I am, I wanted this to be an MSX track. Spent quite a bit of time looking for a good MIDI, couldn’t find any and decided to convert my earlier abandoned attempt to MIDI. 

During that I got re-inspired by the track again and decided to work on a PRC bonus track myself. I didn’t want to go for another rock version, but felt like doing something electronic. In true Jorito-style I blended some unusual genres together again, my weird take on drum & bass and complextro in this case. The complextro bass part felt a bit empty, so I filled it with a vocal sample that I blatantly stole from Moby’s track “Go”. Moby probably doesn’t care because he stole it too. After that I basically sat on it for a year to get some feedback and do some last polishing and I’m satisfied enough with it now to declare it “done”. 

So here it is, I hope the world is ready to enjoy some more classic MSX game music. More to come!

Cheers,
Jorrith

Ooooo this sounds nice right away.  The toploop could be louder, all the drums could be louder and more present.  The wubs could also be louder, you can definitely make them fill more space without needing to rely on the vocal sample, although the vocal is fine but a little repetitive.   I hear no sidechaining which would make the mix groove better.  The breakdown is pretty simple and empty, with not a lot of excitement to build back up to 3:10 which sounds too loud by contrast.  The rhythm guitar sample sounds pretty good after the breakdown.  I like the leads you've used.  Source use seems to be plenty with great personalization.

There are definitely aspects of the mixing that could be improved, but I think the positives outweigh the issues and I'm going with this one.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/11/13 - (1Y) Undeadline 'Marching Towards Roshufa's Spirit'
  • 5 weeks later...

Pretty much in full agreement with Kris here; there's a lot to like here, and while there are some issues with the production, they don't really add up to bring a deal breaker here. I do think the track could stand to be a bit more full overall, but the arrangement is pretty fun. The ending works really nice add well, as an extra nor to add 

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Jorito contacted me about offering a new version of this song, without prompt.  Here's the new version he has provided: (removed) and he requested to use this one instead.

I've listened to both submissions and this second version is slightly less boomy, though a bit less warm too.  Elements are clearer, like the guitars, but the wubs are a bit subby in this version.  In any case, @DragonAvenger and @Chimpazilla should give it a quick look to see if it's still ok for them.

Anyways, As mentioned previously the low frequency balance is a bit off as it can get busy at times, but not so much to bring the mix down.  I think the mix of different elements like the hard bass wubs and guitars worked very well, something I find it's not that easy to pull off.  Sound design was interesting throughout, even though the mix could've been cleaner.

The arrangement is where this song shines, as usual from Jorito, we get a very fun and creative arrangement that takes the original to new places.  A very high-energy track that flows well and has some imaginative writing.  Jorito hasn't been around for long, but I'm looking forward to hearing what he'll be able to do in the future when he manages to get his production on point, as I'm pleased with his progress with each new song.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/11/13 - (3Y) Undeadline 'Marching Towards Roshufa's Spirit'

As far as the arrangement goes, it sounds like a lot of love went into this. Guitar, synths, fast paced drums, and even some wubs - all it needs is a kitchen sink and it's good to go! It's a very tasty blend of instruments, and I got a real kick out of it. The guitar playing was pretty good and the synths were pretty clear. The wubs were not quite as powerful as I would've liked - if you're going to add wubs, go big or go home. It just didn't go big enough, so they sound out of place. as a result.

There are moments in the track where the bass falls behind in the mix (such as at 0:44 - 1:10). It makes the track sound like there's no bottom, at times. It's not a severe problem, but it would've been better had the bass been balanced a little better with the rest of the track.

The arrangement was pretty sweet, personal grudge against the source aside (fun fact - I didn't enjoy the source). I enjoyed your arrangement much more than where you derived it from - it was making me dance a little in my chair. Little mixing issues and weak wubs aside, you did a great job on it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/11/13) *YES - TAG* Undeadline 'Marching Towards Roshufa's Spirit'
  • Liontamer locked this topic