Call for Papers: AMS Ludomusicology Study Group, Vancouver 2016

Note: I post these here largely for people's information, so that folks can see how the academy does business.  That being said, if you have a submission, we'd love to hear from you!  I am on the program committee for this, so this isn't just me passing along other people's stuff -- this is what I do, alongside my own research and (hopefully soon) teaching.

-----------

Call for Papers
Ludomusicology Study Group of the American Musicological Society
AMS Vancouver, 3-6 November 2016

Submission Deadline: April 25, 2016.

The new AMS Ludomusicology Study Group will host a session at AMS/SMT Vancouver 2016. This year, we welcome abstracts (250 words max) for 20-minute presentations on any aspect of ludomusicology within or beyond digital games. All AMS members, regardless of familiarity with (or previous research of) video games, are welcome to submit and assist us in broadening the scope of ludomusicology. Critical inquiries might include:

- What makes play musical, and music playful?
- How do the meanings and stakes of performances, choreographies, bodies, and screens play out via sounds and other sensations?
- What is ludomusicology anyway, and how can it interface with current ideas in music theory, ethnomusicology, music education, and music therapy?

Please send submissions (as Word docs) to gamemusicstudies -at- gmail.com by April 25, 2016. Do not include your name/identifying information in the submission itself. The program committee will send out decisions by May 10, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Edit 6/10

I can officially announce the presenters and their paper subjects, so here they are!

Tekla Babyak (Cornell University) -- Music, Card Games, and the Play of Sensation: Kant’s Ludomusical Aesthetics

Karen Cook (University of Hartford): Video Games and Chant (specific title TBD)

Steve Reale (Youngstown State University):  Glass Beads and Graphic Analysis: A Ludist Account of Contemporary Music Theory

Carmel Raz (Columbia University):  Anne Young’s “Musical Games” (1801): Music Theory, Gender, and Game Design

Kirsten Carithers (Northwestern University): Not Just Fun and Games: Musical Indeterminacy as User-Generated Content

I am especially excited for Karen Cook's chant paper -- I love liturgy, and I love when chant is utilized in games, the most popular example being the Kyrie in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood's (and SOTN, and others) menu screen that casts Dracula as the Antichrist. All of them should be great though!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've looked through all of the abstracts now, and we are going to have an awesome event in Vancouver.  I'll share more once the other committee members have voted and we have official results...