Frequent BSOD/crashes

Chernabogue

I get frequent BSOD/crashes while playing games (even with smaller games like Age of Mythologies or Europa Universalis IV), especially a "Video Scheduler Internal Error" BSOD or a Nividia Kernel Error (which leads into a BSOD most of the time). Don't know if it's linked but my sound icon in the toolbar disappears most of the time after the crash/reboot.

So far, I found no solution on the Internet and I still get the errors even after updating my drivers. Anyone with a solution or a similar problem?

Specs = Asus Laptop (2-3 years old), Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7 + Nvidia Geforce GT 650M (let me know if you need anything else).

It sounds like the video driver's kernel might be corrupted, and an update might not fix that if it doesn't make changes to the kernel itself.  I'd try completely uninstalling the video driver, rebooting, then reinstalling it.  Make sure you use the one from the vendor's website, not the automatic Windows one.

Toolbars frequently go wonky after BSOD's.  Specifically the sound icon disappearing is probably not related by my guess.  It's possible, though, since modern computers pipe audio through the video connection (HDMI and whatnot).

On 19/04/2016 at 8:09 PM, MindWanderer said:

It sounds like the video driver's kernel might be corrupted, and an update might not fix that if it doesn't make changes to the kernel itself.  I'd try completely uninstalling the video driver, rebooting, then reinstalling it.  Make sure you use the one from the vendor's website, not the automatic Windows one.

Toolbars frequently go wonky after BSOD's.  Specifically the sound icon disappearing is probably not related by my guess.  It's possible, though, since modern computers pipe audio through the video connection (HDMI and whatnot).

Which VD were you talking about? The Nvidia one? I already did that some time ago and it didn't fix it. I always get my drivers from their website, not from Windows ^^

As always, first things first: how long has this problem been persisting and did you install / update certain parts of your OS or any of its components recently? Secondly, there's a Windows Error log; you can google for it. This will also spell out when exactly stuff started to go haywire.

Posting this to a Windows or Asus board might help you better I think...