*NO* Hybris 'Actually Hubris'

DragonAvenger

My Remixer Name: UncleBibby
my website: www.petermobeter.com
my user ID: 28302

name of game remixed: Hybris
name of my arrangement: Actually Hubris
name of song arranged: In-Game Music (i can't find a more specific name than that)
System of game origin: Amiga

i actually made this a while ago but i realized it might be one of if not the best remix i've ever done.... or at least i think i did great on this one. so i thought i'd submit it. I originally made it for my boss when i worked at EBGames a few years ago.

here's the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKKNBjFz9XE

sincerely,

Peter "UncleBibby" Locke

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Pretty cool jam, love the funk bass throughout. The issue I'm having with this track is that it is super repetitive. The lack of a solid melody isn't helping, though I do like what you did on guitar to the melody that does exist. Beyond that it is the same riff pretty much throughout the entire track, which starts to wear the listener down. I'd love to hear some more variation in the riff as well as the percussion. Some noodling over the top near the end might actually be warranted here, as well.

The drums sound fairly fakey, especially the hi hats, and the kick could be a little stronger overall. Guitar is overall pretty good, though a bit more humanization wouldn't hurt.

I think this is actually fairly close in regards to the stylistic and instrumental change, but I think a little more expansion on the bass riff and maybe a breakdown or something to get away from the same thing repetitively would make a big difference. Curious what the other judges will think!

NO (resubmit)

Overall funky mix, with a bit of a daft feel. Enjoy your sounds, groovy bass in particular, and you've got some nice lead work going on. I didn't have a huge problem with the fakery of things like your drums, as everything around them were synthesised or had effects plastered on them in some way.

I didn't have any major problems with your mixing.

I agree with Deia that the biggest challenge you have here is the repetitive nature of the track. It's ok for things to repeat sometimes, but when you have your main elements doing similar patterns - like your bass and drums, it makes things become samey quickly.

I think more work needs to be done here on your arrangement to add those little varied changes in notes that keep things fresh. Expansion is definitely needed here.

NO

That funky bass doe.

I like the funky nature of the track, very nice adaptation from the original.  The production here was not very good in my opinion though.  The mix seems to be overly sidechained, which is fine for the bass but creates some weird dynamics on the leads.  Said guitar leads felt like they weren't properly eq'd, as they were very biased towards mids, lacking  air.  I didn't have an issue with the drums though, they fit the mix.

I have to agree with the other Js on the repetitiveness of the track.  The bass hook is a constant throughout the mix and the only change I noticed was dropping a fifth in one of the sections.  The sections with the long chords served well as a bridge but they were used 3 times throughout the track without much change.  The ending was very abrupt.

Funky, but needs work on variation, cleaner mix.

NO (resubmit)