OCRA-0057 - Final Fantasy V: The Fabled Warriors ~II. WATER~

DarkeSword

Cover

Well, here it is, at long last. Kind of unbelievable that this is finally coming out. So why’d this thing take so long? What happened? Well, a lot happened, actually. I bought a house and moved out of my parents’ place. I started taking on more stuff at work. OCR got involved with the fighting game community and I started directing albums for tournaments. I started running my own remixing tournaments on OCR for series like Mega Man, and, speaking of Mega Man, I even worked with Capcom to direct OCR’s first commercial album.

But with all this stuff going on, I also hit roadblocks creatively as a musician. I was still putting out tracks for the FGC albums, but I wanted my Mystic Knight track on this album to be something really great and bigger than what I’d done before. So I put things off until I could find time, and when I found time I couldn’t make it work creatively, and then I’d get busy again. Finally, it just got to be too much, and I said “I need to be able to tell people at MAGFest that it’s done.” So I sat down and, for a few nights in the week leading up to MAGFest, I pushed through all the creative roadblocks and finally got the track out.

But of course, this album series is way more than my dumb track that took way too long to write. It’s filled with awesome music from a really talented bunch of guys. I’m grateful that they’ve been so patient with me, and I’m happy that you’re all going to finally hear their awesome arrangements.

Now that WATER is finally out, we’re going to move on to putting together Volume III: FIRE. I’ve got big plans, and while it would be irresponsible of me to promise a release date, I will say that after everything I’ve learned about running all these albums over the years, things are going to move along at a better pace. Keep an eye out, and in the meantime, enjoy The Fabled Warriors: Volume II: WATER.

Download it: http://ff5.ocremix.org
Torrent: http://bt.ocremix.org/torrents/Final_Fantasy_V_-_The_Fabled_Warriors_~II.WATER~.torrent
Listen on Soundcloud:

Trailer:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCRA-0057 - Final Fantasy V: The Fabled Warriors ~II. WATER~
24 minutes ago, Brandon Strader said:

The torrent download link in both the announcement and the above post is broken. The real link is http://bt.ocremix.org/torrents/Final_Fantasy_V_-_The_Fabled_Warriors_~II.WATER~.torrent

:nicework: album! Downloading now that I've found a real link :lol: 

That's djp's fault for whatever weird reason he had for not using an underscore for one spot. :-) 

Loved the album, so glad to finally get to listen to it. So far, after my first time through the album, I'd say my favorite tracks are Lenna's Theme, Mystic Knight, and Summoner. All the tracks are great though, everyone did an awesome job with their music. And I love the new approach to the album art, the cover looks amazing, huge props to rnn for doing a great job with that.

Oh dear. The old, more-WiP-than-finished version of my song is so weak sauce in the trailer =D But what a privilege to have been a part of such an epic lineup of remixers. I'm like, a snot-faced greenhorn compared to these guys whose remixes I've been listening to since like 2007. 

Gotta do a review of the whole album soon but it'd be kinda weird to be the first one to do so as an artist :-D

22 minutes ago, RiverSound said:

Oh dear. The old, more-WiP-than-finished version of my song is so weak sauce in the trailer =D But what a privilege to have been a part of such an epic lineup of remixers. I'm like, a snot-faced greenhorn compared to these guys whose remixes I've been listening to since like 2007. 

Gotta do a review of the whole album soon but it'd be kinda weird to be the first one to do so as an artist :-D

Good luck. I have no idea how to remix or what to use so I can't help ya out anyway there. :S

This is a pretty strong album, overall more so than the first  IMO. Lots of interesting styles and creativity here; it feels like the artists all really made the source(s) their own. RiverSound, your track reminds of an idea I once had to use that tune as a ballad in an indoor drumline show. It sounds great; the last 90 seconds are really interesting. Once again, Darkesword makes a great conclusion.

On 5/1/2016 at 1:07 AM, Necrox said:

This is a pretty strong album, overall more so than the first  IMO. Lots of interesting styles and creativity here; it feels like the artists all really made the source(s) their own. RiverSound, your track reminds of an idea I once had to use that tune as a ballad in an indoor drumline show. It sounds great; the last 90 seconds are really interesting. Once again, Darkesword makes a great conclusion.

Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot to me as the only non-posted remixer on the album. I hope the last section was positively interesting! :-) Its inclusion was more of a passion thing for me, an attempt at making the song more memorable&unique... I've found that some of my favorite remixes(jade catacombs, the quick and the blue.. off the top of my head) incorporate totally unexpected&original sections in addition to rearranged source material so my best hope is that at least some people might enjoy my song in a similar vein. Here's hoping that ocr still accepts songs like that, and it isn't keeping my mix from getting posted.

1 hour ago, Antique_Gamer said:

Speaking of which... What is it that keeps this kind of stuff away from copyright issues?

I don't know if this was a misunderstanding, but prophetik is simply talking about having too much original content that it doesn't resemble the source tune anymore, and thus is too original of an arrangement to be a video game remix. That would make it harder to get video-game-music-related copyright issues, not easier.

But I would say that NOT selling the remixes (and probably the attribution to the original artists as well) is one of the main things that helps these kinds of albums not upset copyright holders.

Finally got around to listening to the album, ironically after it was added to SoundCloud (and tweeted about) rather than from the torrent download. My song is most definitely the weakest of the bunch, and I'm not saying that to be humble, it's a reality I have to live with, so very thankful to have been allowed to be included on here. Not going to list any favorites, but I liked every song and I think it was very well done and worth the wait. I realize some of the mixes may be old, which is even more impressive that they have held up so well. In fact it is nice to hear the sound certain people used to have, such as halc or sixto, before innovating with new styles and elements in the future. Rather than feeling dejected by the quality, I embrace the diversity and quality amongst remixers, as it is the most beautiful and important aspect of the OCR community and OCR itself. The collaborative spirit and nature of the site will always be the most special part of having been here. 

A solid piece of the whole. 

As a fun side-note about my song, I doubled the voice at the end with my own falsetto, which I couldn't do today due to voice damage. I don't guess you can make it out too much though. 

16 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

My song is most definitely the weakest of the bunch, and I'm not saying that to be humble, it's a reality I have to live with

Really? It's one of my favorites.

BTW the old "Water" album sounds pretty neat out of speakers. Now I have to go convince my suitemates this is for meditation or something.