Game: Halo 5: Guardian
Arrangement Name: "The Eye of Osiris"
Song Arranged: "Light is Green"
Platform: Xbox One
Composer: Kazuma Jinnouchi
Release Year: 2015

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWNTJMZbZm8

ReMix link: 
Comments: This remix was a freaking blast to make. Metal always is, but I always feel so much more accomplished when I can successfully blend metal with other elements and genres, especially one that I'm so new at.

Hope you guys like it too. :)

Nice blend of electronic and orchestral and metal!  The piano in the intro, breakdown and outro is sequenced stiffly and could use some humanization, but it appears briefly all three times.   The strings beginning at 0:44 also sound mechanical, especially noticeable at 0:55-1:06.  The guitar performances are wonderful.  The soundscape gets really dense starting at 1:30, the drums get almost overpowered from 1:30-2:00.  I feel like the high-mids are hyped just a bit overall in the mix.   I like this arrangement though and the source is easily identifiable.  Good builds and drops. Aside from these crits which you can use for future mixes, this one works for me, very exciting and dark.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/11/20 - (1Y) Halo 5: Guardians 'The Eye of Osiris'
  • 2 weeks later...

I like that you kept the dissonance from the original, pretty tasty.  The intro felt a bit dull to me but once the guitars hit, they hit pretty damn hard.  I think the mix gets quite busy at some spots specially with the strings and rhythms+lead guitar but it never gets too messy.  I, like Kris, also found the string performances a bit mechanical but they're serviceable to the mix since they aren't the main focus.  Overall, I wish the mix was a bit cleaner but what we got is good enough for me.  

The arrangement was good, with recognizable source and interpretation in the main melodies and backing parts.  Very solid remix overall, so a short vote from me but a big

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/11/20 - (2Y) Halo 5 'The Eye of Osiris'
  • 2 weeks later...

Quickly chiming in as well. The humanization and mixing issues pointed out by the others are also not that big of a bother for me. The adaptation and expansion over the original is well executed, and the arrangement has plenty of highs and lows to offer which keep things very interesting all the way through. And great guitar playing!

YES

• DaMonz locked this topic

Negatives first: some of the bowed string articulations, particularly from :53-1:05, and then 1:36-1:43 & 3:16-3:23 when they were higher and louder, just sounded too stiff, fake, and exposed. Little things too like the awkward note change at :47 that exposed the sample. I think if you keep at it with your orchestration, you'll probably look back in a few years and blanche as far as letting finer details go like that. When they were more of an accent in the background with lower notes during the heaviest sections (e.g. 1:43-1:55), they sounded decent but were too crowded out by the electric guitar, IMO, and still sounded robotic. I can see why the mixing wasn't quite a dealbreaker for other judges in light of the arrangement, but I would have preferred another pass at it, as the densest sections seem overcompressed and the drum and string writing sounded very muted and squashed there.

Positives: Really enjoyed the introduction up to :43, as well as the first section of guitar work in the lead from 1:05-1:30. All of the sections using the synths and piano sounded pretty solid (though the piano was noticeably stiff). From 2:08-3:10, the extended dropoff and rebuild worked very nicely, and here the textures sounded cleaner and with more room for the parts to breathe; no issues with clarity amongst the various parts there.

IMO, this needed some more production tweaks to get the string work sounding better and clear up the densest sections so that they were less lossy and compressed-sounding, but this was a solid arrangement.

NO (resubmit)