*NO* Undertale 'Armless Ska!'

Chimpazilla

Hey OCRemix,

I created a remix of the songs "Ghost Fight" and "Dummy!" off the Undertale Soundtrack by Toby Fox. I am submitting this track for review and possible inclusion on OCRemix. Please find attached an mp3 as well as a link to the file hosted on my website along with all the required information. I hope you enjoy the track!

Contact Information
Pumodi
Jeffrey Brice
jeffbricemusic.com
Userid: 33041

Submission Information
UNDERTALE
Armless Ska!
Ghost Fight/Dummy!
Link to Original Version on Youtube:
     Ghost Fight - https://youtu.be/gvZV_rJQFeI

Dummy! - https://youtu.be/hZ_H-_NI4SU

Cool idea, but this seems to have started out as a midi rip of the "dummy" theme, it is identical until around 0:40, and quite similar after that until at least 1:30.  Remix and source are the same exact tempo. I layered them.

Ignoring the possibility of initial midi-rippage, I like the idea of doing this as a ska mix.  Dat fake brass tho.  Hhhmmm.  This seems to be a pre-master, as the volume never rises above -4db.  I need to consider this arrangement for awhile before saying more.  Whatchu other J's think?

edit 6/8/16:  Listening again.  I honestly love this idea, but I still find it much too conservative, leaning too much on the source midi verbatim.  The track needs more interpretation in the writing, and the final render needs to be mastered to normal limits.  The bigger issue is the fake brass, since it is such an integral part of this remix.  It sounds painfully fake.  There are three ways to remedy this:  1. as Sir_Nuts said, get a better brass library and program it painstakingly and precisely, 2. find someone to play the horns (not always easy to do, I tried to find a trombone player myself for awhile and I never did find anyone), or 3. add some kind of synth element to layer with the horns to make the fakeness seem intentional and cool.  I wish I could overlook the fake brass because I love the idea of this.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/02 - (1?) Undertale 'Armless Ska!'
  • 3 weeks later...

I disagree with Kris with the similarities of this remix and the original, they aren't in the same tempo and there are changes in the arrangement, a bit subtle but there are.  As Kris mentioned it starts pretty conservative but it diverges from the original with its own (more noticeable) variations around 1:40.  I do have to agree on the matter of instrument quality, specially on this section, the fakeness of the instruments is very exposed.  I think this kind of adaptation would be very hard to pull off without a good library or a great knack for humanization and instrument processing.  

I think the arrangement, although close to the original, showed its own style and interpretation, but of course more would be very welcomed.  The break at 2:10 was specially sweet.  

Overall a good idea but its being held back by production.  Better humanization and processing of your instruments and you will be near our bar.  More interpretation and it would be a yes more likely than not.  For now though...

NO (resubmit)

EDIT: on further listening and with Kris' help I noticed that the mix is much closer to the original sources than I previously thought.  Some of the sections are pretty much identical to the "Dummy!" source.  My vote is still a no but I have to further emphazise the need for more interpretation .

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/02 - (2N) Undertale 'Armless Ska!'

Yup, would love there to be more interpretation overall in this track. Really fun idea to ska the sources out, but this definitely borders on a cover at times. I might be confusing themes, but I feel like I'm hearing some of the spider battle dancing its way in from time to time as well. The second half of the mix has way more interpretation and I'd love you too continue on along those lines. 

The samples are definitely fakey, especially the attacks. The brass in particular is no good, it sounds like none of the notes are tongued. Some better samples would definitely help this out. 

Hit up the WIP boards to get some more feed back. Hope to hear this fixed up!

NO (resubmit)