That Chirping Sound & Kicks

A good way to tackle that is to load your kick into 2 audio tracks and split the freqs out with a multiband in order to get more control between the lows and the highs.

To do this load up a multiband on one of the 2 identical kick tracks and solo the subs and the bass and then mute the lower mids, mids, upper mids and highs. Then make an exact duplicate of the plugin on the second kick track and mute the subs and the bass so you only hear the lower mids, mids upper mids and highs.  Once you send both to the same aux you now have the kick you already had but with a fader for the lows, a fader for the highs and the bus fader letting you change the volume of the entire kick.  This trick also works EXTREMELY well on basses.  

One thing you'll want to be careful of is any make up gain that may be set by default.  2 of my multibands were set with a +2.5 db gain for each band out of the box so to speak. It's not going to ruin your mix if there is a slight boost there by any means but you can keep your volumes consistent by making sure there is no makeup gain set by default. 

As far as EQ'ing of kicks go that is largely dependent on the style you are trying to do. 

On 4/27/2016 at 6:07 PM, Garpocalypse said:

A good way to tackle that is to load your kick into 2 audio tracks and split the freqs out with a multiband in order to get more control between the lows and the highs.

To do this load up a multiband on one of the 2 identical kick tracks and solo the subs and the bass and then mute the lower mids, mids, upper mids and highs. Then make an exact duplicate of the plugin on the second kick track and mute the subs and the bass so you only hear the lower mids, mids upper mids and highs.  Once you send both to the same aux you now have the kick you already had but with a fader for the lows, a fader for the highs and the bus fader letting you change the volume of the entire kick.  This trick also works EXTREMELY well on basses.  

One thing you'll want to be careful of is any make up gain that may be set by default.  2 of my multibands were set with a +2.5 db gain for each band out of the box so to speak. It's not going to ruin your mix if there is a slight boost there by any means but you can keep your volumes consistent by making sure there is no makeup gain set by default. 

As far as EQ'ing of kicks go that is largely dependent on the style you are trying to do. 

Thanks man! I'll definitely try it!

On 4/27/2016 at 2:22 AM, Brandon Strader said:

Why is it clicking, is it clipping? Are you boosting around 60Hz for a subby kick or 80Hz for a punchy kick? None of that should be adding clicks, that's more around the 3500Hz range for the high end click depending on your kick

Yeah I'm trying to boost the lower range to give the kick more punch.

On 4/27/2016 at 9:17 AM, timaeus222 said:

Uh, could you provide an example? I've never gotten that before when EQing kicks.

Here's a link to the example, odd thing is, I'm not even sure if that chirp is audible after rendering it :/.

Chirpy Kick Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgug8579s2byamr/Chirpy%20Kick%20Example.wav?dl=0

(I'm going to post a screen recording of it happening in the DAW to help).

I low-passed it almost completely, and it seems like the "chirp" is still slightly there in my audio editor, but not in the DAW and not in WinAmp. It seems to get stronger when you boost the subs more. You're not hearing things, but I don't think it's a big deal in the long run. :)

Here's a completely random selected kick sound from my set of Goldbaby drum samples.

https://app.box.com/s/8ko1na32ephgta2ogqt8mi4ve4dw3jp7

I didn't do anything to it whatsoever. I think if you listen to the kick the same way you did when you heard the "chirpy" tone, you'll hear it here too. (That would tell you it's normal.)