Lights & Shadows - Metal track

Hey! A lot more metal tracks popping up around here lately.

- I like the composition for sure, it's definitely got a Lamb of God vibe. The ending isn't that great though. It kind feels like it just stops with the vocals sustaining. This is a bit boring IMO and it really exposes how dry the vocal track is. Put some nice reverb on it, but not too much.

- The mixing feels a bit unbalanced. Your cymbals and hats are too loud, as are the guitar harmonics here and there. I also can't hear the bass.

- The kick and snare drums don't have much punch to them at all. 

That's all I've got for now. I think it's good, but with a little more polish it will be face-melting.

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎28 at 11:27 PM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Hey! A lot more metal tracks popping up around here lately.

- I like the composition for sure, it's definitely got a Lamb of God vibe. The ending isn't that great though. It kind feels like it just stops with the vocals sustaining. This is a bit boring IMO and it really exposes how dry the vocal track is. Put some nice reverb on it, but not too much.

- The mixing feels a bit unbalanced. Your cymbals and hats are too loud, as are the guitar harmonics here and there. I also can't hear the bass.

- The kick and snare drums don't have much punch to them at all. 

That's all I've got for now. I think it's good, but with a little more polish it will be face-melting.

Thanks for the reply!

This is the first time we've done something like this so we are pretty new at mixing and stuff. However, we had lots of fun recording and we are definitely going to try and improve on it. :)

Anyways, that is some great advice! We'll be sure to try it out.

• 1 month later...

It's a nice composition. The main problem I see with most mixing is the balance. Before any compression is added, try getting the tracks at the right volume with each other. Try turning down the guitars (I am biased towards them too). If you listen to other commercial tracks, the guitars aren't as loud as we perceive them to be, relative to the vocals/drums/bass.

This is a high-energy track so the drums and bass have to be heard. The kick and snare should be just about as loud as the vocals. The guitars should be quieter than the main vox so the vocals can sound "up front" and the bass needs to be just loud enough to carry the low end that the guitar can't. You will be surprised at how much punchier it will sound just by adjusting the volumes. It will also make the stages of compression go smoother (limiting, etc.) 

One more note. when you turn the volumes down, you will be tempted to mess with the "muddiness" of the guitar. however, once you turn the overall track volume up, the "muddiness" will go away. We tend to hear brighter sounds at louder volumes, and vice versa. Get the tracks in balance at really low volumes, then turn it up (on your speaker, not the track volume) to check.

Good luck! I really wanna hear this after it has been mixed again!