*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Still More Cowbell'

Chimpazilla

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty odd choice of panning. It's a borderline dealbreaker because, while it isn't flat-out disorienting, it's still too wide on headphones. Everything also sounds very lo-fi; where's the high-end clarity?

Structurally, this is all very close to the original song, and adapted well for this instrument set, but none of the part-writing is new, and and I'm not getting much out of it as far as interpretation. There was a nice 5 seconds of stuff added on from 2:07-2:12, as well as some other theme cameos in there like the main theme on bass from 2:18-2:23.

There's not much of an ending once the final playthrough is done, it just wraps up immediately; try to fashion a real resolution.

This is basically a nicely made, but super-close cover, Didier; it doesn't meet the arrangement creativity requirements of the standards. There needs to be much more personalization of the arrangement approach, whether that's through more distinct instrumentation, rhythm or tempo changes, and/or integrating more original part-writing or sections. Check out other arrangements of the theme to see more of what can be done, including CarboHydroM's spin, which was also a relatively close cover, but also did more interpretive things in his arrangement to give it its own feel.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/12/04 - (1N) Final Fantasy 7 'Still More Cowbell'
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the instrument choices and the performances, but Larry's right about the panning, everything in this mix is wide panned.  I'd like to hear the leads (especially the violin) much more center panned and up-front (just a bit louder), this wide panning makes the soundscape sound like a flat mush without much impact.  Even though the arrangement is conservative, I think getting this soundscape to really pop by centering things that should be centered and brought up front will make all the difference.   The drums sound too lo-fi like they have been low-passed, let's hear the snare, hats and cowbell with a bit more sparkle and impact.  The rhythm guitars could also use a bit more highs.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/04 - (2N) Final Fantasy 7 'Still More Cowbell'

Not really anything to add on here: the mix is well-instrumentalized for what it is, but it's too close to the source as-is for our standards. Definitely check out some of our recently posted mixes and compare them to their original tracks to see how other mixers have personalized and arranged the sources.

I'm also not really feeling the lo-fi atmosphere overall, and would love some clarity touch ups. 

Good start here, but it's not working out as is. Hope to hear more from you!

NO