Chimpazilla

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262

Game(s): Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
Song Title: Princess Hilda’s Lament
Songs Remixed: Hilda’s Theme
Comments: You can listen to the song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fsFuJ5xPQs

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

Mmm, this is some beautiful orchestration. The strings have a little swell in each attack that could use some humanization TLC, but otherwise the instruments sound very well done. The little bits of orchestration throughout really make for a rich arrangement of this source.

That being said, this tends to stick very close to the source. The background has some elements that make it sound more rich, but overall the structure, chords and instrument choices are quite similar to what was present in the game. I very much enjoy this arrangement, but it's too conservative for OCR. You do solid work, though, so I'm glad to hear you giving us so much, and I hope to hear more from you soon.

NO

The arrangement is close to the original, yes, but there's quite a lot of interpretation going on in the different harmonies and small variations.  I had to listen several times to spot the difference as on the first couple of listens it did seem too conservative.  

That being said I'm not too keen on the samples here.  Rebecca has used her libraries pretty effectively on other songs, but in this one I think the failings of the sample quality weren't well hidden.  From the very initial string notes at 0:13 to the places where the cello takes precedence one can hear a certain static quality to the performances and some of the articulations having the same envelope, most evident on short notes that carry long-legato envelopes with them.  The woodwind instruments also felt a bit static which was not good given their prominence throughout the arrangement.

Overall this arrangement was pretty sweet as most of your submissions but I think you can take the humanization a step further.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/12/19 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 'Princess Hilda's Lament'

Gonna straight up agree with the gentlemen above. The arrangement is lovely, and I do hear some subtle personalization in the backing parts, but it does remain pretty close to the original structurally and methodically. I think this is very close in regards to arrangement, and if the production were spot-on I'd be pretty tempted to go YES. The strings are definitely the offender here, though the flute has a couple of moments that sounds a little stiff and could be touched up. 

Overall I think this is very close, and I really hope you take another look on this. The track is pretty lovely, and i think maybe expanding out the arrangement a little could go a long way here. Getting a little more humanization will also put you over the tipping point. Good luck!

NO (resubmit, please)