CPU Temp Is Wack

So recently, I was thinking that the fans in my PC seem to be running a little bit harder than normal when I do any CPU intensive task like a playing a game or rendering a .wav. I re-downloaded "Core Temp", which has never failed me in the past, and it's saying I'm running at an average of 70 celsius just at idle but the fans run normally. Which is nuts because it says that's the tj. max. When I fired up a game, which I meet the recommended specs for, it shot up to like 100 celsius. Surely, the computer should be bursting into flames now, right?

I opened it up and couldn't feel any heat at all and even though I just cleaned the whole thing, I did it again. Still registers the same readings though.

Am I reading this all wrong? Am I getting faulty readings? Could the thermal sensors (which I don't know what they look like) be in a bad location? Is everything actually fine? What is happening?

Processor is AMD quad-core btw

What type of cooling system? If it's a plain old intake/outtake fan setup, your temp will also be dependent on the ambient room temperature. It could definitely be faulty readings as well. How is it performing while giving you 100c readings? Most PCs will throttle the GPU/CPU/etc as needed to maintain a safe operating temperature, so if you aren't noticing any stutters and performance hits than it's probably faulty readings.

There are no issues in performance whatsoever. Like, in terms of games, no frame-rate dip or anything.

I just tried a different program "Speedfan" and it says the CPU is at 27 - 34 degrees idle, 55 running Overwatch. I googled and this processor normally runs between 50 and 60 so I'm thinking maybe Core Temp is on the drugs?

what does hwmonitor say?

CPUs can run under load at temps in excess of 70c without any real serious effects, but i'm thinking the second set of numbers is more correct. also, there's no 'normal' temp for a processor, as it's entirely dependent on ambient temperature (if the air coming in is hot, it can't carry as much heat out) and the type/quality of direct cooling.

Edited by prophetik music
bbcode doesn't work anymore =(

3 hours ago, prophetik music said:

what does hwmonitor say?

CPUs can run under load at temps in excess of 70c without any real serious effects, but i'm thinking the second set of numbers is more correct. also, there's no 'normal' temp for a processor, as it's entirely dependent on ambient temperature (if the air coming in is hot, it can't carry as much heat out) and the type/quality of direct cooling.

Well this interesting. HWMonitor says the same temps as core temp but I noticed this

Speed fan at present registers 20 celsius looking at this page on idle where as HW and Core Temp say 68. Despite HW and CT saying they're reading celsius, 20 celsius IS 68 fahrenheit. The numbers fluctuate the same. If it drops to 18c on speedfan the others say 63 - 64.