Lufia 2 - The Sorrow of Parting Cover

Eitzpii

Hello! I made a new cover. It's about Lufia 2 soundtrack, a little bit of sad theme. There has been some time since i uploaded anything, but this one got my groove back :).

Main instruments are acoustic guitar and piano. I made other sounds like bass with DAW from the scratch.

Here is the cover:

and here is the original soundtrack:

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since I played this game - longer than I care to admit. Ol' Maxim still pulls on the heartstrings though...

Very pretty. You clearly know the source material well and know how to make it sound very good - but this is just a cover in the purest reference. If I may wax poetic here, I hear nothing of the performer in this track.

Have you thought about adding your own touch to this piece? Maybe a small solo over the harmony riff you have in the guitar part or a bridge to transition between the guitar and piano parts?

Really nice cover, the minimalism really adds to the melancholic feel of the source. I like it! :D 

Now, for some constructive feedback, a few things that I noticed: :) 

• Some background noise during the guitar section. I suppose you recorded both audio and video together, and picked the city noise with your mic along with the guitar. If going for something clean, I suggest you try recording everything in a noiseless environment, most probably inside, and record a playback video if you want outdoor footage. Note that you don't have that noise during the piano part.
  • Still concerning the guitar part, I would have let that last chord around 30s ring a little longer, along with the lead, to smooth the transition with the next part.
  • One last regarding the guitar: I would have played the last melodic phrase legato, as the rest. The choppiness of the last part is rather offsetting :/
  • The piano part is well played, but your sound is a bit muddy and lacks of clarity. With maybe too much reverb. I have no idea if it comes from your mic or your keyboard, but you could probably easily correct this by removing the reverb on the keyboard during the record and adding it afterwards, with a bit of EQ like adding some highs or cutting some middle low? (I'm rather bad at EQ theory...)

Whatever,thanks for sharing your work, and keep playing! :D 

• 1 month later...
On 17.6.2016 at 1:59 AM, The Nikanoru said:

Been a long time since I played this game - longer than I care to admit. Ol' Maxim still pulls on the heartstrings though...

Very pretty. You clearly know the source material well and know how to make it sound very good - but this is just a cover in the purest reference. If I may wax poetic here, I hear nothing of the performer in this track.

Have you thought about adding your own touch to this piece? Maybe a small solo over the harmony riff you have in the guitar part or a bridge to transition between the guitar and piano parts?

Yes...same here. Very near in the future i have to experience this wonderful adventure again :).

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about making some improvisation and actually had recorded some, but i didn't use it in the end. I came to a conclusion that i wanted to make this cover sound almost like the original, but still a little bit different with my playing (acoustic guitar, piano...). But yeah...it was kind of a thing to get my music, video and other stuff rolling again :).

I think it's very possible that i try to record and make some new kind of arrangement for this. I just have to train more frequently and expand my vision for the improvisation :D

On 24.6.2016 at 7:33 PM, JulienMulard said:

Really nice cover, the minimalism really adds to the melancholic feel of the source. I like it! :D 

Now, for some constructive feedback, a few things that I noticed: :) 

• Some background noise during the guitar section. I suppose you recorded both audio and video together, and picked the city noise with your mic along with the guitar. If going for something clean, I suggest you try recording everything in a noiseless environment, most probably inside, and record a playback video if you want outdoor footage. Note that you don't have that noise during the piano part.
  • Still concerning the guitar part, I would have let that last chord around 30s ring a little longer, along with the lead, to smooth the transition with the next part.
  • One last regarding the guitar: I would have played the last melodic phrase legato, as the rest. The choppiness of the last part is rather offsetting :/
  • The piano part is well played, but your sound is a bit muddy and lacks of clarity. With maybe too much reverb. I have no idea if it comes from your mic or your keyboard, but you could probably easily correct this by removing the reverb on the keyboard during the record and adding it afterwards, with a bit of EQ like adding some highs or cutting some middle low? (I'm rather bad at EQ theory...)

Whatever,thanks for sharing your work, and keep playing! :D 

Thanks for the feedback, i'm glad you liked it :)!

The background noise is probably coming from my condenser mic settings. I recorded everything in a quiet room...i wonder what picked up that kind of static noise :/? Too much gain, volume or something external? Keyboard was recorded with Direct Out method.

Yes, the piano is a bit muddy :D. I think the reason for that is the way how i used my sustain pedal and reverb effect.

There is lots of good points you mentioned out, i really appreciate it :)!