*NO* Shining Force 'Clowns, Clowns Everywhere'

Chimpazilla

Hi OCR!

It's Mykah here. I'd like to submit my new Shining Force remix for your consideration.

Contact information:

Remixer name: Mykah
Email address: 
Forum userid: 24938

Submission information:

Name of game arranged: Shining Force
Name of arrangement: Clowns, Clowns Everywhere
Name of individual song arranged: Battle 3 [Mid Boss]
Additional information about game: Composed by Masahiko Yoshimura and released on the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis in 1993.

My comments: The original version of this track featured in the circus battle where the Shining Force were tasked with facing down a horrible army of dire clowns and possessed mannequins. I have fond memories of it being a tough but fun battle! I made this remix using FL Studio and the synths Massive and Chipsounds.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

Thanks,

- Mykah.

• 3 weeks later...

This one started pretty strong, with a lot of energy and cool effects giving some flair to the arrangement, but as the song progresses I realized the song was repeating itself over and over.  There were some changes in the way things were each section was presented, so it's not exactly copy-pasting, but they still felt too similar and the structure felt overly rigid.  There were basically 3 sections to this arrangement and it went 1-2-3 in order each time until the end.

Besides that, some of the synths were a bit dry and simple, but they did their job most of the time, however the drums felt overly simple, not in its sequencing but in the actual sound and processing of them.  

I think more needs to be done regarding arrangement and structure so the song sounds less repetitive and rigid for me to pass it.  It's not that far, as I think switching up a section or two would do the trick, but still needs work.

NO (resubmit)

• Gario changed the title to 2015/12/13 - (1N) Shining Force 'Clowns, Clowns Everywhere'

Mike's right that the track is a really solid foundation that is suffering from to much repetition. I think you can inter mix some fresh themes, either something else from the game or something original and cut down a bit on the repetitive-ness. The original stiff that you do have here is working pretty well, so more of that!

The mix definitely feels dry, and the percussion is sitting too much on top of the mix. Working on the production to make the soundscape fuller and stronger well really make the energy you have already shine.

Hope to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

This mix is really full of energy!  I wish the bass tomfoolery were a bit louder and more emphasized because it's really cool.  I agree about the synths sounding generic but they are used well.  I'd love to hear a different transition than the four crash hits, and that crash sounds really cheap and dry.  The arrangement does seem to repeat nearly verbatim in the second half, and this just won't do for OCR.  Add some kind of writing variety in the second half, maybe change up the instrumentation a bit or add something to set it apart from the first half.  This is a pretty fun track so I hope to hear it again fixed up!

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/13 - (3N) Shining Force 'Clowns, Clowns Everywhere'