*NO* Super Street Fighter 2 'An Enjoyable Face Remodelling'

Chimpazilla

Remixer Name: shaboogen
UserID: 33244

Game arranged: Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Name of arrangement: An Enjoyable Face Remodelling
Song arranged: Cammy stage theme

Production Comments: This was made in Logic Pro X 10.2 using mostly stock effects / compressor plugins, KV331 Synthmaster and a SID-based lead sampled straight from a Commodore 64.

The Cammy theme has always been my favourite in all of Street Fighter. With this piece, my goal was to take the spirit of the original and fuse it with my favourite modern dance genre in Complextro in order to create a track designed to be light, fun and above all groovy as hell.

I hope that you find it compelling and worthy of being a part of OC. Please let me know if you have any questions or queries.

Thanks

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Decent opening with a basic sounding but well-produced dance groove. The SID lead intro'ed at 1:14 doesn't cut through as the lead enough, yet it sounds somewhat shrill; I would have pulled back the beats and groove some to let the lead sound more dominant, but it's not a huge deal. That said, you have some good accompaniment thrown in from 2:07-2:22 that ends up getting lost in the shuffle due to the levels of everything else.

At 2:30, I was getting tired of the main groove and clap pattern; it really needs some sort of changeup somewhere. From 2:59-3:30, there some solid original writing for the SID lead on top of the Cammy theme; again, it sounds too shrill, but the writing's solid and the mixing doesn't bother me in a huge enough way. The ending at 3:45 was weak IMO, but there was a resolution via subtraction; it did feel like you just stopped at a loop point to some extent.

This gets a lot right in terms of arranging and interpreting the theme. I may be too harsh in this case, because I like the overall approach, and I won't have any big problem if this passed. But a lot like RoeTaKa's Dark Souls II 'Like a Dream,' I may end up in the minority, but I believe auto-pilot grooves like this one and the way they sap energy and dynamic contrast from an arrangement are too detrimental. There's good energy and adaptation to this genre, but 4-minutes of this groove barely changing was just too plodding for me.

If this doesn't make it as is, Marc, this would just need some tweaks to the writing of the groove. You may also want to look into the potential balance and shrillness issues mentioned, but those aren't dealbreaker things, IMO.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/01/09 - (1N) Super Street Fighter 2 'An Enjoyable Face Remodelling'

Man, I really love the classic SF2 source tunes.  Solid track you've put together here.  Larry makes a good point about the repetitive beat work.  That's my top issue personally for sure.  I was saying in judge chat earlier that it would be super easy to vary up the beat pattern, for example going half-time with a more complex pattern with all the synths behind would be pretty sweet IMO.

This could be personal preference, but I felt like the lead had too much portamento with all the pitch bending between notes.  I would scale that back a bit, though it's a minor issue for sure.

Ending wasn't great, but it works.

I hate to go against this one because it's firing on 90% of all cylinders.  Like Larry, simply applying more variation on the core pattern or a change-up here or there would be enough for my nod.

NO (borderline) (resubmit)

• Nutritious changed the title to 2016/01/09 - (2N) Super Street Fighter 2 'An Enjoyable Face Remodelling'

13 minutes ago, Nutritious said:

I was saying in judge chat earlier that it would be super easy to vary up the beat pattern, for example going half-time with a more complex pattern with all the synths behind would be pretty sweet IMO.

I've been sitting on this one for a couple days, listening from time to time.  It's not a bad remix, but this is the main issue.  There's not letting down with this song, and the perpetual groove gets old after a while.  A simple break at some point would've done wonders.  The unchanged beat and sidechained groove are relentless and end up taking the mix down with it.

I hate rejecting this because it would've been fine with less repetition and a change of pace somewhere, which isn't a hard fix, but I hope you take this in consideration so we can get a more dynamic arrangement from you.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Super Street Fighter 2 'An Enjoyable Face Remodelling'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic