*NO* Rocket Knight Adventures 'Giant Pig Mech'

Chimpazilla

Dear all at OCRemix, I'd like to make my first submission!

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name - TWObyTEN
  • Your real name - Jay Fitt
  • Your email address -
  • Your website - https://soundcloud.com/twobyten
  • Your userid (number, not name) - 31414

Submission Information

• Game - Rocket Knight Adventures
  • Name of arrangement - Giant Pig Mech
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Boss Theme
  • Additional game information: 
    • System - Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
    • Developer - Konami
    • Releaseed 1993
    • Composers: Masanori Oouchi, Aki Hata, Michiru Yamane, Masanori Adachi
  • Link to the original soundtrack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNb9_JuHjAk
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc:
This is my first ever game remix, and I wanted to do one of my absolute favourite pieces from one of my absolute favourite games, and I'm surprised not to see it on OCRemix yet! I think it lends itself well to a drum and bass meets metal fusion! 

Most of the bass sounds were created using Massive, except for the drums (which were part of a free sample pack I found online) and the guitar was my beat-up old Squier Strat going through POD Farm. Everything was mixed, EQed and mastered in Reaper. 

Hope you enjoy!

Best,
Jay

• 1 month later...

This is a sweet genre for the source given - a heavy industrial/drum & bass arrangement that doesn't let up. I'm impressed with how in your face you've made this, and how relentless it stays throughout without all sounding the same throughout. It's tricky, and you pulled through pretty well - it definitely gives me a Prototype Raptor "Dark Matter" vibe.

The arrangement has enough source in this, and you arrange it in a way that both makes sense and has your own spin on how to organize it. Your focus on the beginning elements of the source was a solid choice, and you break up the arrangement using the other elements. The ending cuts off, which makes for a pretty weak ending. It's doesn't kill the track, but you'd do well to give it a more definitive ending.

EDIT: Also would like to mention the overall repetition involved in sections like 0:43 - 1:28. Portions like that could be half as long and achieve a similar, building-intensity-over-time effect.

The production doesn't do the arrangement justice, however. You do a pretty good job avoiding clipping and overcompression in this arrangement, but it's at the cost of powerful drums and a potentially louder mix (which for something with this kind of energy, you could really use the volume). The drums, which should be the centerpiece of this, end up being mixed into the background for the most part. The bass drum is almost loud enough, but the snare, hats, etc., are pretty quiet, considering the genre. In order to compensate for this, consider using a compressor on your bass and raising the levels of the other instruments. Utilize sidechaining on the instruments that end up fighting your drums for space - have them make room for the drums.

On the instrument choices made, while the saws that you use are fitting, you use a lot of them, which end up all fighting for space. At 0:43 (and especially at 1:21) all of those saws end up sounding like a muddy mess, due to how they compete for the same frequencies. Utilize different synths, and don't be afraid to use a higher octave in order to give the saws that remain the space they need. Mixing these elements properly will also give a little more room for you drums to be mixed more front and center, as they should be. The lead gets lost in the lower ranges at 2:00, as well, so be aware of that and try to balance that part better.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this, especially considering this is your first attempt at a remix. It's very good, but it has the potential to be much better - get all the volume that you can out of those drums, utilizing sidechaining to give them more room when necessary. Also, make sure that your synths don't fight for the same soundspace, and give this a proper ending. With those things being fixed I could see this being a great arrangement.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the opening sounds very similar to the original, only sped up... OK. We'll see where this goes.

OK, some breakbeats come in at :43, and I'm noticing everything's written with intensity yet the levels are so low. Anyway, the synth design's pretty vanilla, and after the cool drop from 1:03-1:06, I thought something more creative with the arrangement was about to happen, and then it went back to the same treatment of the melody.

Another dropoff at 1:28. Well, this isn't a bad cover at all, Jay, but there's not much interpretive going on besides the breakbeats and increased tempo. Synths at 1:49 during the chorus were super dry and exposed.

Not sure what's up with that countermelody introduced at 2:13; it just sounded very atonal.

In any case, bland/generic/vanilla synths, not enough interpretation, and too repetitive sum up the issues to address.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/01/13 - (2N) Rocket Knight Adventures 'Giant Pig Mech'

Yeah, gonna echo the comments on production here.  Despite trying to be energetic, all of the elements are just kind of melding together somewhat distantly in the soundfield.  Nothing really is able to cut through the mix, making the mix as a whole sound dull (lack of clarity, not "boring").  Drums lacked any sort of punch to them that would be a staple of the DnB genre.  

The counter melody sounded off-key with respect to the rest of the track, so not sure that's gonna work here.

Arrangement sounds pretty conservative with some liberties taken in the rhythm and backing work.  Would really like to hear more variety in the writing here as we really get a lot of that detuned backing synth pattern.

Solid for a first try, but quite a ways to go on reaching the bar.  Good luck to you and keep at it.

NO

• Nutritious changed the title to *NO* Rocket Knight Adventures 'Giant Pig Mech'