OCR01511 - Shining Force CD "Five-Sided Square"

djpretzel

It's been awhile since we've heard from Quinn Fox. It's good to know that he's still alive and in the music mixing business. Like all the other mixes he's done, this one is amazing. It's quirky, nostalgic (all the 8-bit sounds), and an overall great tune.

The only drawback is I can see myself getting tired of it really fast and I don't like that stuff in the middle of the song too much.

8.5/10 :)

This is one of those mixes where I can't really decide whether I like it or not...

The production has noticeable holes and isn't balanced in a few spots... but on the other hand the song is quite peppy and enjoyable. Sadly it has the feel of one of those songs you tire from quickly. This probably could've used a bit more refinement before being submitted and it would've been just that much better.

This sort of song doesn't really appeal to me too much, it just tends to get lost in the background instead of drawing out my attention. It'd be one of those songs that I'd give a 3 out of 5 stars if I heard it on the Ormgas stream.

This song isn't too bad though, it's pretty average and certainly isn't terrible. It's worth a listen, who knows, you might like it!

Nice work, like a cloud. I enjoyed when you started to mess with the harmonies surrounding the source material towards the end. The end itself is a nice climactic one. I feel like you could have "had your way" with the original a little more, sounded a little to "safe" but then again i'm friends with shnabubula so i guess that explains that. All in all nice work, kudos on that complex ambient patch that takes the stage in the beginning and end.

8)

-sigmund abeles

• 2 weeks later...

Like many other people complain, this song does develop slowly, and does sound a bit minimalist. Fortunately, I very much like the minimalist and ambient quality of this remix, and fell in love with this song right from the start. The slow way the melody wanders throughout the song lets me sit back and just listen, totally letting my mind enjoy some awesome quality calming music. 9/10, an awesome song I will listen to many a time in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Takes awhile to get filled out sufficiently, but once it does, it stays that way.

I was sure after the first listen whether or not I liked the track itself, though the production and sound choices were all good, with perhaps the exception of the lead sound; I think it needs to be a little more edgy.

I also think that the mix wanders a bit too much; maybe it's just the mood im in, but I think it should have a little more direction. The transitions are the culprit here i think, as the sections themselves are strong, but without something connecting the parts, it feels aimless to me. Otherwise it's a good mix.

• 1 year later...

And for our last/most recent Quinn Fox piece, we return to his very chilled out sound. I like it. Some commented that it took too long to develop but the dynamic shifts and slow build works wonderfully for me. The chip samples sound excellent in this context. The arrangement is phenomenal. The rhodes piano sounds fantastic. The dissonant underlying chords adds a dark almost foreboding tone to the piece and I really like it. The brief break down is a nice dynamic shift. The piano sounds great. Excellent work, as usual, Quinn and I hope we get to hear more from you in the future!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01511 - Shining Force CD "Five-Sided Square"
  • 5 years later...

I'm surprised I haven't commented on this before!

I checked out this mix ages ago because I was familiar with the music from SF1 and 2. I loved it! This is a chill piece with an interesting progression and a lovely, lovely synthy sound to it.

But since then I've played Sword of Hajya - the original Shining Force Gaiden 2 for the Game Gear, and there was one tune on that that was my particular favourite - amazing, just amazing. I didn't recall for sure if this ReMix was arranging the same source material - and sure enough it is! It's a very, very creative take on it too.. So good!